A dog swallows 111 pennies and is saved by his vet. The dog underwent emergency surgery after swallowing over 100 pennies. On March 13, Huffington Post reported that a Jack Russell terrier consumed the loose change and became ill. He was rushed to a vet in Manhattan and he was immediately taken for surgery.
The dog, named Jack, was put under anesthesia and the vet removed each penny - $1.11 worth. According to the report, zinc from the coins can be fatal to a pup. It is unknown how the dog got in to the money, but his owner is so thankful that the vet was able to save his pet.
When a dog swallows 111 pennies, most people picture a larger dog being the culprit. The fact that a Jack Russell terrier was the pup involved here makes this even more amazing. Pennies are hard and likely weren't "chewed" by Jack before he gulped them down.
Dogs often consume foreign objects and vets have plenty of crazy stories to tell. 111 pennies, however, seems like a rarity given the large amount. Dogs have consumed money before (coins, bills, etc.) but it isn't safe and it's not something that pet owners should wait on. If your dog eats any amount of change or coins, you call your veterinarian immediately.
The dog that swallowed 111 pennies is doing well following the incident. His owner says that he's doing well and Jack is back to "driving him crazy."
© Effie Orfanides 2013