A dog who competed in the Westminster Kennel Club Show was poisoned while at the competition, claims his owner, Lynette Blue. The dog, a three year-old Samoyed named Cruz, died four days after the show ended, but the owner believes the death was due to a slow working poison, much like what is used to kill rats, according to the Los Angeles Times on Friday, March 1, 2013.
The dog died on Feb. 16, just days after coming home from one of the biggest events in the doggie world today. The timeline adds up, claims Blue and she also believes this is the only scenario that fit’s the death of the dog.
Cruz had the symptoms that are consistent with a dog that’s been poisoned with rat or dog poison.
After making this claim, Blue decided against a necropsy, an autopsy for animals. This leaves no positive way of substantiating the claims that the dog was poisoned at the show. The spokesperson for the Westminster Dog Show said they have never come across with anything like this claim that Blue has made.
Megan Kelly on Fox News today suggested that the Westminster Dog Show must have been saturated with security cameras, like other big events. She asks why they just don’t go over the footage near where the dog was during the show to find proof or not of the dog being poisoned.
Unfortunately without the dog version of an autopsy, there will be many unanswered questions to this death. The actual cause of death may never be known.