Back in November, 2012 I wrote about a dog that had been discarded as trash on a lonely South Georgia Road. You can read the story of how “Cheeto” came to be part of our pack here: http://www.examiner.com/article/i-have-your-trash.
I am convinced that Last night, this wonderful , heroic dog saved nineteen lives, including his own.
I was just drifting off to sleep when I heard Cheeto barking. In the year he has lived here he has only once before barked after everyone has gone to bed. The first time police officers were at our door. This time, knowing I should heed his warning, I came downstairs and proceeded to check all the doors and windows. Cheeto was very on edge, the hair on his back standing up.
I could find no sign of anyone so I started back up the stairs. As soon as my foot hit the first step Cheeto started barking again and I heard a strange noise in the living room. I turned and went back in to discover sparks shooting out of one of the wall sockets and the acrid smell of electrical fire! We quickly turned the power off to the room and took the box out of the wall.
There are three humans, four cats and nine dogs in this home. It is a wonderful home but was made of wood 122 years ago and surely would have burned quickly.
The dog once thrown away as trash is now a hero. He will be getting a very special treat today and I vow to never, ever ignore his warnings.
November 9, 2012 I rescued Cheeto. February 5, 2013 he rescued us.