Poisoned meatballs almost killed one dog and are believed to be what poisoned two other dogs in this upscale neighborhood outside of Los Angeles. This isn’t a new occurrence, cases of these poisoned meatballs date back eight years and the culprit is still leaving these deadly treats for dogs today, according to Laist.com on Sept. 18.
Dan Horwath’s 7-year-old dog almost died after eating a meatball laced with pills. The pills contained the poison strychnine. These meatballs were strewn around Horwath’s backyard where his dog was bound to find them. Thankfully the dog only got one of the meatballs because more than one would have surely killed him.
The dog was touch and go for that evening, but she pulled through. The meatballs were just tossed into his fenced in yard which has a public trail that goes along the outside of his property.
This is a popular trail for families and hikers and Horwath believes someone walking along that trail tossed the poison laced meatballs into his yard, where they knew the dogs would find them. Four years ago Horwath had two dogs that he believes were poisoned in the same way. One dog pulled through, but the other died.
One of his neighbors, who wished to remain anonymous, claims her dog was also poisoned in this same La Canada Flintridge neighborhood eight years ago. This recent case of Horwath's dog is the fourth in eight years for this neighborhood.
Back in July, more than 50 poison meatballs were found in a neighborhood of San Francisco, which authorities believed were left to poison dogs in that area. The meatballs were discovered after a dog ate one and was hospitalized, the culprit was never found, according to CBS Local back then.
Authorities scrambled to collect the poison meatballs and after retrieving 50, they were afraid more were out there. The warned the public at the time to carefully watch what your dog picked up in its mouth when out walking. This was in the upper Market area of San Francisco.
Police are looking into these meatballs laced with poison, which Horwath said was poison used to kill gophers. While police are looking into to this incident Horwath wants to warn other dog owners in the area to keep an eye out. “To other dog owners, watch your dogs,” said Horwath.