On Wednesday, health officials confirmed that a Colorado resident has been diagnosed with the pneumonic plague, and the man's dog already died from the rare disease, reported Fox News.
The man, whose name has not been released, was diagnosed with the deadly, infectious disease after his dog died unexpectedly and a necropsy confirmed that the pneumonic plague was the cause.
According to the CDC, the pneumonic plague is capable of spreading from person to person through the air - transmission typically requires direct and close contact with an ill person or animal.
The CDC states that symptoms include:
The first signs of illness are fever, headache, weakness, and rapidly developing pneumonia with shortness of breath, chest pain, cough, and sometimes bloody or watery sputum. The pneumonia progresses for 2 to 4 days and may cause respiratory failure and shock. Without early treatment, patients may die.
The condition of the resident who contracted the plague is unknown. According to 9 News, the resident, and his dog, may have come into contact with the infectious plague in eastern Adams County.
This form of plague, which impacts the lungs, is known to be spread by rodents, such as prairie dogs, and fleas. Anyone who suspects that they may have been exposed should seek medical attention. Read more about this disease, including treatment options, at this link.
If you would like to continue receiving the latest dog-related news, tips and advice, please click the word "Subscribe," near the top of the article. Follow along on Facebook and Twitter for more stories and updates.