We all have pets that do the strangest things while we are out of the house. After all, they need to keep busy and there’s only so much a dog can do with a squeaky plastic hamburger toy. Now a frozen bag of onion rings? That’s some fun waiting to happen.
A mixed breed dog named “Winnie” got into a bag of frozen onion rings and devoured all two pounds while her owner, Kyle Bowser of Barnstable, Mass., was out. Today.com on Saturday shared the story of the snacking dog, who ended up having to be taken to the vet because of the toxicity of the onions.
Winnie’s onion ring ingestion didn’t create any lasting harm, and for her efforts, she was awarded the 2013 Hambone Award by VPI Pet Insurance – An annual honor that recognizes pet owners and their beloved pet’s “I-can’t-believe-what-they-did” moments.
According to viphamboneaward.com, “Winnie is the fifth recipient of the annual award created by VPI to educate the public about unexpected mishaps that befall household pets.”
Hambone’s website picks up the story:
“Kyle and her husband rushed out of the house to pick up their daughter without realizing they left a bag of groceries that contained a two-pound bag of frozen onion rings on the counter. When the Bowsers returned home, they found an empty frozen onion ring bag on the floor and Winnie with a very guilty expression on her face.”
After a Facebook pic on the family’s page received a reply warning the Bowsers how harmful onions can be to a dog, the Browsers did a quick Internet search and found out Winnie could be in some trouble.
“I did some quick investigating and found out that onions aren’t just bad for dogs, they are extremely toxic and can cause anemia,” said Kyle. “After reading that, I immediately called the Pet Poison Helpline, and they instructed me to take Winnie to the veterinarian.”
Winnie was okay, and after all of the worry, the Bowsers were handed a bronze trophy in the shape of a ham, as well as a VPI swag bag filled with toys, treats and an emergency pet kit.