‘Tis the season for giving – time, money, goods and services.
When the officers of local charities tell you up front that no gift is too small, they mean it.
So when times are really hard, as they are now – and have been – people need to know they can get help even if they’ve never had to ask before.
Help finding a job or filing for unemployment, help knowing where to get cheap clothes and so on.
Charities, non-profits and public agencies help fill the gap.
You can help them fill their coffers for the new year – tiny bits of cash, cans of beanie weenies, etc., modest donations of toys and clothes, coupons and time.
Here are a few of the charitable organizations in Greater Jacksonville who need extra help during the holidays.
Check here for updates.
- Arlington Community Services – 1450 Rogero Rd., Jacksonville, Fla. 32211. Food pantry for Arlington residents providing food and some financial assistance on a referral basis. Need non-perishable food and monetary donations. For more information, please call 904-743-7402.
- Boys & Girls Club – 942259 Old Nassauville Rd., Fernandina Beach, Fla. Holiday coat and sweater drive for children and families in Nassau County. Deliver new or gently used men’s and women’s apparel to Paul Davis Restoration, 2111 N. Liberty St., Jacksonville, Fla. By 5 p.m.,Fri., Dec. 13. For more information, please call 904-739-6047 or visit bgcnassau.org.
- Boys & Girls Club of Northeast Florida – 555 W. 25th St., Jacksonville, Fla. 32206. Need unwrapped gifts for children or $25 to sponsor a gift. Holiday wrapping party is Sat., Dec. 14. Please bring a roll of wrapping paper. For more information, please call 904-396-4435.
- Bright Holidays – 24532 Deer Trace Dr., Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. 32082, Help underprivileged students and families in the Greater Jacksonville area during the holiday season with gifts of food, clothing and essential items. Need monetary donations and volunteers for packing, sorting or gift wrapping. For more information, please call 904-994-8096 or visit brightholidays.org.
- Children’s Home Society of Florida – Buckner Camus, 3027 San Diego Rd., Jacksonville, Fla. 32207. Accepting new, unwrapped gifs through Dec. 13. To donate or host a toy drive. Fore more information, please call 904-493-7738 or email Martinez@chsfl.org.
- Girlz Talk/Boyz Talk – 3444 Inwood Circle W., Jacksonville, Fla. 32207. Provides for at-risk children and youth,. Need monetary and in-kind donations and a new or used van. For more information, please call 904-803-1285.
- Mandarin Food Bank – 11730 Old St. Augustine Rd., Jacksonville, Fla. 32258. Serves people in the following zip codes: 32217, 32223, 32256, 32257, 32258 and 32259. Need hot cereal, soup, canned fruit, canned vegetables of all kinds, spaghetti sauce and hygiene items. For more information, please visit mandarinfoodebank.org.
- Marine Toys for Tots Foundation – Gift Processing Administrator, 18251 Quantico Gateway Dr, Triangle, Va. 22172. Provides children up to age 16 so all kids get a toy for Christmas. Need new, unwrapped toys, volunteers and organizations to start a collection. No toys that look like weapons and no food gifts. For more information, please call 904-714-7472 or visit jacksonville-fl.toysfortots.org.
- Maurice’s Toy Drive – 463721 Florida Rd. 200, Ste. 3, Yulee, Fla. 32097. Bring a new toy, minimum value $5, and receive a coupon from Maurice’s for 20% off a regular price item. Toys will be given to the Barnabas Center as Christmas presents for children. For more information, please call 904-225-0667.
- Millions More Movement – 916 N. Myrtle Ave., Jacksonville, Fla. 32204. Presented by the Jacksonville Local Organizing Committee. Need non-perishable food items. Also need the donation of a truck or van, new or used, to be used for clothers pickup. Pick up available. For more information, please call 904-240-9133 or 904-354-1775.
- St. Francis Soup Kitchen – 134 E. Church St., Jacksonville, Fla. Provides nutritious meals every Saturday, food baskets and a twice-monthly clothes closet. Need men’s jeans, sneakers, shoes white socks, underwear, jackets, backpacks and small toiletries. For more information, please call 904-356-0290 or stfrancissoupkitchen.org.
©2013 All rights reserved.
OFFICIAL BIO: K Truitt is a second-generation, native Floridian born in Jacksonville. Truitt worked in public higher education for 25 years and knows newspaper publishing, printing and graphic design. Contact: email@example.com