Do you believe in demons?

Comments

• Christopher Murrey 5 years ago

I can readily identify with your early experience of first diagnosing everything as demonic. Growing up in a fundamental, evangelical community that was obsessed with Christian demon possession I think I had about every demonic sin I could think of "cast out." I never felt anything or sensed anything until I prayed a prayer renouncing ancestral ties. I could barely breathe as I prayed that prayer, keenly aware of a supernatural presence in full opposition to my repentance.

My awareness today is more tied to my concern that those sins that I easily indulge may actually empower or be manipulated by an outside force - leading to addiction. Essentially I am either walking toward the light or toward darkness.

• Bob Johnson, Tampa Deism Examiner 5 years ago

You ask, "How are we to balance our rational approach to the world we live in to the very different worldview portrayed in the New Testament?" As a Deist, I believe in God based on the application of my God-given reason on the designs in nature which presuppose a Designer. Deists value our God-given reason much more than man-made books like the Bible, Koran, etc. This helps to answer your above question. Our God-given reason lets us know the New Testament was written in a time and place that was ruled by unreasonable man-made fear and superstition. If we employ what God has given us, reason, we will reject all of the so-called "holy books" of all the various "revealed" religions. The only true "Word of God" is the creation that only God could be the author of.

• Joe Sanches 5 years ago

Perhaps the theologies and stories about the devils and his minion in the underworld cause laughter or a smirk in some, the presence of evil in our reality is all too apparent and much of it of our own making. Whether or not it is instigated by some external force is an ongoing theological question.

• Paul Erland 5 years ago

Spiritually, why shouldn't we assume that the demonic is the natural order of things and that good is a lesser force? It seems to me that there is something malevolent at the heart of things.

• Ken Swanson 5 years ago

To Christopher: Regardless of the source of evil or oppression, the power of the Gospel is that Jesus brings liberation. So, pursue the light with passion.

• Ken Swanson 5 years ago

To Bob: From the perspective of Christian faith, there are several problems with Deism. First, the biblical religions begin with the assumption that the fullness of God cannot be discovered within nature, so at best reason will lead to only a shadow of God, one without real power that simply provides a bit of symmetry to a flat world view. Secondly, the biblical faiths all proclaim that this hidden God has revealed himself in particular ways. So far from being "man made", scripture is the revealed Word of God. Now a Deist may not believe that, but if not, his/her denial is an act of faith, as much an act of faith as that of a Christian, Jew or Muslim. For Christians the God revealed in scripture brings new life, abundantly and joyously. Something Deism, shackled by reason, cannot even approach. So for those who have tasted the "new wine", Deism has nothing to offer.

• Ken Swanson 5 years ago

To Joe: You are right, no matter what our particular "religious" belief, the reality of evil is inescapable. Theology can only continue to probe the nature of its source. But, regardless, it may be far more fruitful to pursue the good, and the source of the power of what is good, than to become mired in something that may ultimately be unknowable.

• Ken Swanson 5 years ago

To Paul: Your question is at the heart of the matter. If all we have to go on is what we experience in the world, what we can perceive with our minds, the most obvious answer may be that evil, or at least the "fang and claw" of evolution, is reality. But... then we must still be forced to ask, what is the source of good? And then ponder the question of whether what the Gospel of John declares is true: "What has come into being in him was life and the life was the light of all people. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness cannot overcome it." (1:3-5) To believe or reject that demands an act of faith.