Next time you're at the grocery store, take a trip down the soup aisle. Once you're there, pick up that 1 quart container of vegetable stock in the cardboard box. If you take a moment to check the nutritional facts, you'll be shocked. The sodium content in 1 cup is almost as much as the normal daily allowance! There's only one thing you can do now. Make your own.
Homemade Vegetable Stock
yields 2 quarts
6 large carrots, chopped into 2-3 inch pieces
3 onions, quartered
1 bunch celery, chopped into 2-3 inch pieces
2 - 3 stems rosemary, fresh
2 - 3 stems thyme, fresh
2 - 3 stems watercress, fresh
1 bulb garlic, cut in half
1/2 cup button mushrooms
1 small can tomato paste
- Place all veggies into a pan, fill pan with water until very tops of the vegetables are uncovered.
- Place stock pot on the stove over medium heat.
- Simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomato paste, stir until dissolved
- Strain into another pan to remove veggies and herbs, simmer another 15 minutes to reduce.
- Store for later use or use immediately.