Colorado Springs ice skating 101 is a series of ice skating tips written by Jo Ann Schneider-Farris, Colorado Springs Ice Skating Examiner. Jo Ann began skating as a young child and has coached figure skating in California, and then in Colorado Springs, since 1983.
Today's ice skating tip is about how to do a basic two foot hop on ice skates. New ice skaters find it especially fun and challenging to do a small two foot jump in the air.
- First, jump in place.
- Stand in the middle of an ice rink on two feet with your arms and hands stretched in front of you.
- Next, bend both knees.
- Now, jump in the air.
- Land on the front of your skates and bend your knees as you land.
- Jump in place over and over again.
- Next, try the same two foot hop jump while moving forward.
- Have fun!
- Wear gloves and a helmet.
- Try to not let your hands and arms to swing around as you jump in the air.
- Don't allow your arms to fly above your head as you jump.
- If you think that you are about to fall, bend your knees and squat into a dip position.
- When doing the jump while moving, land a bit on the back of the skate and allow yourself to glide forward a bit when you land on the ice.
- How to do back wiggles on ice skates
- Six ways to make ice skating fun
- Figure skating moves on ice hockey skates