No one likes being caught with yellow nails so they often times try to conceal their fingernails with nail polish. But one of the biggest leading causes to yellow nails is constantly wearing nail polish! It seems like a vicious cycle since every time you notice your nail polish chipping, you get into a habit of covering them up again with a fresh coat of paint. In order to put an end to this cycle, you need to allow your fingernails to breathe and get enough oxygen. But how do you do this without exposing your discolored nails?
Here is an easy and effective DIY nail whitening treatment that will help remove discoloration and make your nails look white and healthy!
Ingredients & Supplies:
- small bowl
- nail buffer
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of peroxide
- Remove any residue and nail polish from fingernails
- Very gently, buffer top layer of nails until they are smooth
- Heat water until hot (make sure water will not burn your hands) and add 1/2 cup to your bowl
- Add baking soda and peroxide
- Stir until baking soda is dissolved
- Soak your fingernails for 1 minute.
- Rinse hands and moisturize
Tip: Before soaking your nails into the mixture, test the temperature with one finger to make sure that it is not too hot. If the mixture is too hot, wait a few minutes until it is at a safe temperature to soak your nails. Also, if you want to add some gloss/shine to your nails, clear nail polish is fine to use.