Ladies, we spend too much money on expensive moisturizers, lotions and skin care products from the cosmetic counter. Did you know there are products in your kitchen that will leave your skin looking and feeling fabulous for a fraction of the cost? Why spend a fortune when some of the best moisturizers are already at arms length?
Grab some of these items for your next girl's getaway weekend or girl's night at home. Some of these DIY skin care products will work great at your daughter’s slumber party as well!
Beach bum moisturizer:
- You will need: 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, 2 ½ Tbsp. cocoa butter and ½ Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil.
- Make it: Melt coconut oil first by placing your container/jar in a bowl of hot water. Combine all ingredients in a small pan or double boiler and heat just until the cocoa butter melts, then remove from heat. Allow mixture to cool slightly, place in a small sealed container/jar and shake vigorously, let it sit for a few minutes and shake again. Depending on the temperature, the mixture may solidify similar to how coconut oil/cocoa butter do on their own. In the winter the cream will usually be solid. You just have to use your finger to get a little bit out of the jar, rub it around in your palms or between your fingers to warm it up a bit and then apply.
Sweetie Pie scrub:
- You will need: Two parts oatmeal (ground up finely in a blender or food processor), One part honey, and One part sweet almond oil (or coconut or olive oil – use what you have/like)
- Make it: Mix everything together until it’s a thick sticky mixture. Add a little extra oil or even a few drops of water if it’s too sticky or clumpy. Smooth onto face and rub into skin for a couple of minutes and then rinse off.
Hand and body lotion fit for an angel:
- You will need: 27 oz. bottle of baby lotion (vanilla oatmeal is a fragrance choice and to keep the color of the lotion white), 7 oz. Aquaphor – generic brand therapeutic ointment will do the trick, (2) 4 oz. containers of Fruit of the Earth Vitamin E cream, and 8 oz. extra virgin coconut oil (the solidified kind) you can find 16 oz. jars at a local health store.
- Make it: Mix everything in a large mixing bowl. Use a hand mixer to combine everything until it was smooth and creamy. Sound nice? Just wait until you smell it…
- For the record, this makes excellent Christmas gifts! This recipe makes a lot of cream, so it seems like you are putting a lot of money into this; however you are actually getting a large amount of product to use and share.
Bright eyed beauty eye cream:
- You will need: Evening primrose oil, 100% vitamin E oil or in the capsules, and a small clean resealable container.
- Make it: Mix equal amounts of Evening Primrose oil and Vitamin E oil and blend them together. Place the mixture in a clean resealable container and that’s it. Dab on tiny dots under and around eye. Massage in very gently.
Let’s get fruity scrub
- You will need: 2 mashed strawberries, 1 teaspoon almond oil, and 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Make it: Mix ingredients really well. This face scrub is slightly thicker than the usual facial scrubs, so feel free to add a little more oil if you prefer. Gently rub your scrub into your face and neck using a gentle circular motion. Massage gently for a couple of minutes, then rinse off with warm water.
Are you ready to get all your gal pals together and try some homemade skincare products? Pamper yourself at home with one of these fabulous facial recipes. Just imagine finding a simple face care product recipe that works better than your favorite cosmetic counter product!
Thanks for reading Raleigh Etiquette! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!