Skip to main content
  1. Leisure
  2. Spa & Beauty
  3. Hair and Nails

DIY false nails gone extremely wrong

See also

On March 21, Mail Online reported a scary manicure incident experienced by a teenage girl who completed a DIY set of false nails. Shortly after using store bought nail glue to adhere her fake nails, she experienced pain in one finger. Eventually, her finger became severely infected, resulting in an emergency amputation of the tip of her finger.

The teenager blames the incident on the nail glue she used, but according to Mail Online, beauty expert Louise Thomas-Minns, explained that it was more likely for the infection to come about due to improper preparation. Moisture, dirt or oil on the surface of natural nails can lead to an unhealthy and harmful application of false nails.

This is an unfortunate example of how a small, fairly common, DIY nail practice can go wrong. It can be fun to experiment with different nail trends on your own, but make sure to properly familiarize yourself with safe steps to take to avoid improper, insanitary nail procedures. Make sure your natural nails are clean and free of dirt and oil before false nails are applied.

Advertisement

Leisure

  • Hookah smoking
    Young adults believe hookah smoking pose no health threat
    Camera
    7 Photos
  • Bikini body
    Get your bikini body while having fun outdoors this summer
    Camera
    5 Photos
  • Scarlett Johansson
    Scarlett Johansson is the face of Perfect Mono: Dolce and Gabbana's first cream eyeshadow
    Camera
    5 Photos
  • Summer dining events
    Solitude Mountain Resort is an amazing place to escape and enjoy delicious dining options
    Camera
    6 Photos
  • Top outdoor activities
    Don't spend your summer indoors: Top outdoor activities to do with your significant other
    Camera
    10 Photos
  • Summer beauty tips
    Use these tips to look and feel great in the summer heat and humidity
    Camera
    10 Photos