For this holiday season why not build a blackboard to decorate with a holiday message? A blackboard is a great way to have a huge impact artwork with little expense and it can be used throughout the year in your office, kitchen, or child’s room.
- To begin paint the hardboard with 2-3 coats of the chalkboard paint. Let the paint fully dry between coats. If there are any bumps from the paint or hardboard, sand the area using fine grit sandpaper to give a smoother finish.
- Measure the hardboard and cut the moulding on a 45 degree angle using a Miter saw so that it will frame the hardboard with a slight overlap of about 1 inch. After the pieces have been cut check to make sure the pieces will fit together.
- Next take the moulding pieces that will make the frame and place them on a drop cloth. Paint the frame, covering with 2-3 coats of paint.
- Once the frame has dried, put wood glue around the edge of the hardboard and place the frame on top. Make sure to put wood glue at the corners of the frame too to give a more solid finish. Wait several hours for the wood glue to fully dry, and flip the blackboard over. Using small nails, nail the frame to the blackboard.
- After your blackboard is complete use chalk to decorate.
- Chalkboard paint
- Paint brush
- Drop cloth
- Moulding for frame
- Spray Paint
- Wood glue
- Finishing nails
- Miter saw
- Measuring tape
- Sandpaper (optional)