The weather and calendar might say its fall but it’s not ‘officially’ fall until this Friday when the Dixie Classic Fair starts. The Dixie Classic Fair runs from Friday October 4 to Sunday October 13.
The Dixie Classic Fair is celebrating its 131 year! It has changed quite a bit since the first fair in the area back in 1882 which was a wheat exhibition. Check out this slideshow with fun facts of ‘Fairs Past’ in the Triad area.
To kick off the Fair, Friday is Wendy’s/107.5 KZL Unlimited Ride Promotional Day. Pick up a coupon at participating Wendy’s and redeem with $25 for a ride all day ID. Other Wendy’s days are Monday October 7, Tuesday October 8 and Thursday October 10. Other family promotional days include Lowe’s Foods Day on Wednesday October 9 and Winston Salem Journal Family Days on Saturday October 12 and Sunday October 13. On Lowe’s Foods Day those who bring five cans or boxes of non-perishable Lowe’s Foods brand food items will receive free admission. On Winston Salem Journal Family Days kids seven and under can ride all Strates Shows Kiddieland Rides for $10. These days have specific hours: Saturday October 12 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Sunday October 13 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Advance discounted tickets are available at local Lowe’s Foods locations and on the Dixie Classic Fair website for $7 for adults and $3 for children. Normal ticket prices are $9 (Fri-Sun) for ages 12 and up, $8 (Mon-Thurs) for ages 12 and up, $4 for ages 6-11 (everyday) and free for senior citizens (ages 65 & up) and ages 5 & under. The Fair hours are Sunday through Friday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Some of the many highlights of the fair that shouldn’t be missed are:
- Fair food of course is #1!
- Swifty Swine Swimming and Racing Pigs (everyday times vary)
- Rodeo (both Sundays @ 7:30 p.m.)
- Morris Family Elephant Encounter (everyday times vary)
- Numerous food contests
- Animals – pigs, sheep, cows, and much more
- Agriculture – apples, pumpkins, honey and much more
- Vendors and school art exhibits (at the Annex)
- Free concerts (at Grandstand)
- Wine tasting and competition (at Yesterday’s Village)
- Flower shows (at Home & Garden Building)
- Showings of Children’s Theater ‘The Crazy Story of Little Red Riding Hood’
- Fireworks every night at 9:45 p.m.
- Finally… all types of rides for all ages
Make sure to visit the Dixie Classic Fair this year and partake in these fun activities!