An exciting new course will be available locally running monthly from Fall to Spring Equinox and starting September 18th, called Diving Into Postmodern Zen.
In this practical 7-part course, we will dive into Mondo Zen and what it has to offer. By the end of the course, the successful student will be capable of at least cognitively experiencing the Zen perspective, with a customized daily Zen practice in place and a sangha within which to practice if desired. We’ll cover what ‘Zen’ is, how it is practiced within the Hollow Bones / Blue Sky Zen Tradition, and give students examples of the value of practice and discipline. Heavy focus will be placed on the Emotional Maturity, and Embodiment elements of practice, as these are the ones most often under-practiced.
We’ll also explore tools for getting out of ruts, resolving confusion, and empowering oneself to succeed. We’ll look at our relationship with money, body, self, other, and materiality. We’ll delve lightly into psychology - Jungian shadow work, Integral Theory, States, and Stages, and examine how Zen, and other spiritual traditions, are evolving and adapting (or not) to meet a world that grows more conscious (and self-conscious) every day. These are like ‘maps’ which are considered very helpful for discernment and growth
Except for what’s in the Mondo Zen manual and the duality vs. non-duality section.this course does NOT cover the history of Zen, information on famous stories or teachers, or Zen in context of other Buddhist traditions.
Each class will include a lecture, Q&A, and practicum (meditation, Qi Gong, etc.) There will be quizzes, books and homework assigned to assist with understanding of material and weekly email check-ins on coursework status.
By the end of this course, the student should:
- Have had an experience of samadhi; (meditative absorption)
- Possess at least a cognitive understanding of dual vs. nondual reality and perception;
- Understand how and why to meditate, with discernment between subtle state experiencing vs. abiding in Correct View;
- Understand Mondo Zen and the 5 Practice Mirrors, and their practical significance for self-development;
- Recognize emotions and feelings as information and train self to respond with wisdom and compassion (skillful means) rather than to react;
- Understand the significance of the term ‘skillful means’ and identify ways in which violent reactions can skillfully be transformed into wise and compassionate responses;
- Understand Jungian shadow work and its role in spiritual ruts and pathologies;
- Understand Integral Theory of States and Stages. Develop discernment of how to place self within the AQAL map. Identify spiritual pathologies that derail each stage of development.
- Possess own daily practice discipline which incorporates the 5 training elements (or Practice Mirrors) and personal koans, and tracking mechanism.
- Possess a positive relationship between spirituality and money, and spirituality and science. Understand money as a form of energy, and learn to use money and knowledge as a tools for awakening, integration and stabilization.
- Develop an appreciation for balance and its role in developing stability and constancy, while discerning this from laziness, procrastination, or shadow.
- Understand what it means to be a spiritual warrior, what the value of such a stance is, and how to hold a Rinzai attitude.
SCHEDULE AND SYLLABUS
-----September 18, 2014 – March 19th, Fall to Spring Equinox Series
Class will meet on the following 7 dates from 7-9pm
1. Thursday, September 18, 2014 [syllabus topics TBA]
2. Thursday, October 16, 2014
3. Thursday, November 20, 2014
4. Friday, December 19, 2014
5. Thursday, January 9, 2015
6. Thursday, February 19, 2015
7. Thursday, March 19, 2015
READING MATERIALS (some available at local libraries)
Mondo Zen Manual & Sutra Book (available online via download at mondozen.org)
The Heart of Zen – Junpo & Kogen
Integral Spirituality – Ken Wilbur
The Soul of Money – Lynn Twist
The Dhammapada-Sayings of the Buddha (Shambhala Pocket Classics)
Owning Your Own Shadow – Robert A. Johnson
More reading to be determined....
For questions, to express interest, or to interview to attend the course series, please contact email@example.com.