Prescription drug abuse is a prevalent problem, so authorities have made it easier for people to dispose of unused drugs before they get abused or into the wrong hands.
Most, if not all local law enforcement agencies will be participating in the collection of unwanted and unused prescription drugs. This bi-annual event will take place from 10am-2pm on Saturday, October 26th, 2013.
According to the Drug Enforcement Administration, "The National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day aims to provide a safe, convenient, and responsible means of disposing of prescription drugs, while also educating the general public about the potential for abuse of medications."
However, intravenous solutions, syringes, mercury, oxygen containers, chemotherapy/radioactive substances, pressurized canisters and illicit drugs are not accepted.
By turning in unused and unwanted prescription drugs, these drugs will not end up on water supplies because they have been flushed down the toilet. Or worse, into the hands of minors or others not prescribed these drugs.
If you cannot make it to a collection site on the National Drug Take Back Day, prescription drugs can still be disposed of safely. And that is the point of the collection day.
The FDA gives detailed instructions on how to safely dispose of drugs and here are a few simple rules to follow:
- Do not flush medications unless the package insert specifically calls for this type of disposal.
- Remove the drug from it's original container and mix with undesirable elements such as coffee grounds or kitty litter.
- Remove all identifiable information from drug bottles or containers before disposing of.
- Put unused medications in a sealed back or can.
- Check with your local pharmacist when in doubt as to the proper disposal methods.
The D.E.A has a search feature on their website to help you find collections locations nearest you that can and will accept the prescription drugs. It's also important to note that these returns will be done anonymously.
Missoula Police Department will be accepting prescription drug returns on Saturday October 26th from 10am-2pm at the South Gate Mall, 2901 Brooks St. Missoula, Montana