Southern California's warm weather has cooled down from the Autumn air, colorful leaves are falling and Christmas decorations are already being brought out. With the beautiful magic of the fall season cast upon Disneyland, thoughts of the upcoming Holiday season arrive and the transformation that occurs during the year. At Disneyland, there are going to be many new things to enjoy during this time and old favorites such as the many decorations that adorn Main Street USA are coming back. Plan a trip for the Season from November 12th-January 6th.
- Haunted Mansion Holiday: The candles of the jack o'lanterns have been put out, the guests and monsters have gone away to their lairs for another year and Halloween is over. However, residents of Halloweentown have decided to stay longer with the guests and ghouls of the Haunted Mansion. Jack and his gang want to take you on a trip through the spooky yet jolly manor! The Haunted Mansion Holiday has been a fan favorite for 13 fun-filled seasons!
- Jingle Cruise: The Jungle Cruise is an adventurous attraction that has always been full of fun but the ride has never been a part of the Holiday season...until now. According to the article Jungle Cruise Goes ‘Jingle Cruise’ for the Holidays at Disneyland Park & Magic Kingdom Park by Jennifer Fickley-Baker,
In this new seasonal storyline of the attraction, the Skippers have grown homesick for the
holidays, so they’ve added holiday cheer to the Jungle Cruise queue and boathouse with
decorations that have been mailed to them from home (plus a few they’ve created themselves).
The skippers have added some new jokes for the cruise and the boats have been renamed with holiday-themed titles.
- Small World Holiday: This whimsical attraction with its colorful lights and classic Christmas carols is a huge favorite. The sign of the Small World Holiday is always lovely to see at night with its gorgeous lights blazing brightly. An interesting fact is that there is an estimated 50,000 Christmas lights installed with six brilliant colors. Guests can sail serenely through the ride and listen to a musical mix of 'Jingle Bells' and 'Deck the Hall's combined with the attraction's theme song "It's a small world (after all)" composed by the Sherman Brothers. The inside of the Small World Holiday displays the various puppets of many other countries celebrating the holidays.
This year there is going to be something new at the Small World Holiday! The smiling clock in front of the attraction will mark every quarter hour with a great surprise! According to the article New Surprises in Store for ‘it’s a small world’ Holiday at Disneyland Park by Shawn Slater, " Using advanced 3D projection technology, the façade of the entire attraction will be transformed into an enormous, clockwork mechanism!" The small World Holiday clock facade will reveal different whimsical Christmas designs such as a toy factory and a gingerbread house.
- Jingle Jangle Jamboree: The Big Thunder Ranch has become festive for the holiday season as it changes into the Jingle Jangle Jamboree. Santa, the lovely Mrs. Claus, Pluto and Chip n' Dale are going to be at Frontierland and they want a visit from you! Cme and play "reindeer games" such as Wreath around the Antlers and participate in an arts and crafts project. Listen to Billy Hill and the Hillbillies play holiday tunes with their own special country twist such as songs "All I want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth" and "Christmas Cookies".
- Winter Village/Olaf's Frozen Ice Rink: Disney is going to bring back the ice skating rink during the Holidays. Starting November 14th, visitors to the Downtown Disney District will be able to skate gracefully on the ice. This skating rink will be located around the ESPN Zone and the AMC Theatre. There will be holiday cottages and shopping chalets. For those who choose not to fall on the ice, there is a 30-foot Christmas tree to admire as well as some holiday tunes. For more information, go here and check the Disneyland calendar.
- Main Street USA: During the holiday season the welcoming area of Disneyland with its small town nostalgia and charm transforms into a magical and jolly themed place. Main Street is covered in 2,015 garlands adorned with ornaments and lights. This area is perfect to stroll along and window shop(with perhaps some hot cocoa) or get a unique present for any Disney fan! Listen to Christmas carols and remember to take a picture in front of the 60-foot Christmas tree. An interesting fact is that there is approximately 2,365 ornaments on the tree! A Disney guest could walk in the Main Street USA area and catch the sweet minty scent of peppermint but this is on purpose! According to the website, homeaway.com, " The scent of vanilla is pumped into the air along Main Street. During the holidays, the scent is changed to peppermint."
- New Orléans Square: This jazzy section sure does put a uniquely spicy zing in the Season! New Orléans Square is covered by garlands, colorful jewel-like beads and special little touches that give a special surprise to Disneyland guests. This place draws many Disney fans with attractions such as Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion Holiday. New Orléans Square is a nice place to take a break and perhaps partake in a special Holiday meal.
- Bug's Land: While walking through DCA, guests have noticed something different. They have come across Christmas ornaments that are larger than usual. It is almost like they are seeing these seasonal decorations from the perspective of a bug! At Bug's Land, Disney has transformed some kind of magic to the land to make guests see everything in an imaginative and entertaining way.
- Buena Vista Street: This vintage themed area of Disney California Adventure has already established a fantastic yuletide tradition with lovely decorations and so many things to see and do! The lavish Elias & Co brings to mind holiday shopping before the days of instant purchase on the internet. Stop by this retro-styled department store and visit Santa Claus. The shops at Buena Vista Street will have special holiday themed merchandise so be sure to get some shopping done during the Disney visit. The themed area will have a large 50-foot tall Christmas tree. The Community Bell Ringers will once again be featured on Buena Vista Street with its talented performers.
- Cars Land: The desert town of Radiator Springs has been decorated by the residents just for the holidays! Each of the Cars Land characters have decorated their areas with personalized ornaments and designs. Santa Mater is going to be available for photos and notice the carlads composed of spare tires, air filters and crescent wrenches!
- Viva Navidad: The winter holidays are a magical time for families and personal traditions. Experience the new presentation of Viva Navidad at Paradise Cardens at DCA. This area is decorated with holly and traditional "papel picado" and will feature lively music and delicious foods such as tamales, pozole and champurrado. Disney characters, the Three Caballeros will be featured at the Viva Navidad area along with Minnie and Mickey. There will be arts and crafts as well as face painting. A daily festival at Paradise Gardens will occur with the Viva Naidad Street Party!. According to the Disney blog, Viva Navidad! Latin Holiday Special Coming to DCA, Nov 15th-Jan 6th by John Frost,
The exciting “Disney ¡Viva Navidad! Street Party” takes over Paradise Garden several
times daily, featuring the Three Caballeros on a festive holiday float, Mickey Mouse and
Minnie Mouse transported on colorfully decorated street tricycles, flag-bearers carrying
papel picado banners, Mexican folklorico dancers, samba dancers and drummers, plus
giant “Mojiganga” puppets, including representations of Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus.
There will be performances by mariachi bands, Norteno and other musical groups and dancing everywhere! For more information go here
Downtown Disney: The shopping and entertainment district will be the hottest spot for the holiday season! With the addition of the Winter Village skating rink and the various amounts of entertainment featured such as the Anaheim Ballet performing classic scenes from the Nutcracker on selected dates. Downtown Disney is the perfect place to pass the time or to take the special someone on a special date!
Shows and Parades
- Holiday Time Tour: This tour is an annual favorite among visitors. Wal through the park and hear Disnyland holiday traditions and tales from around the world. Guests will be able to ride the seasonal attractions such as the Small World Holiday. There will also be special seating for a Christmas Fantasy Parade and a collectible pin. It is possible to make same-day bookings on a walk up basis but it is best to make advanced reservations through th e Disney phone line at (714)781-TOUR. Hurry and make arrangements now!
- World of Color- Winter Dreams: From November 25th- January 6th, the amazing nightly spectacular will premiere a new segment with World of Color-Winter Dreams! This new piece is inspired by the classic ballet ;The Nutcracker' by Tchaikovsky however instead of the traditional ballet...there will be a creative special spin added! The characters from Toy Story have their own story inspired by this magical ballet and music segments from the piece such as the Waltz of the Flowers, the Russian Dance and the Minature Overture will be featured.
- Disney Characters: Mickey and his friends will be available for special Holiday themed pictures and will be wearing seasonal finery! In addition t characters such as Cinderella, Donald and Goofy, two new characters have come to meet new friends! From the new film, Frozen, Anna and Elsa will be at the Winter themed spot at Fantasyland. This frozen spot will be located between Pinocchio's Daring Journey and Village Haus Restaurant. Be sure to check out Frozen at theatres everywhere on November 27th.
- Candelight Processonal: The Candlelight Processional is a long-standing tradition that has been established at Disneyland since 1955. This event consists of a talented choir and orchestra performing traditional Christmas carols. Every night, a celebrity narrator presents the Biblical Christmas Story. The Cnadlelight Proccessional is a beautiful and poignant presentation that brings great warmth!
- Believe in Holiday Magic: This nightly firework show is a spectacular display of holiday cheer Disny pyrotechnics and classic music such as "I'll be Home for Chrismas" and "Silent Night" as well as the holiday version of "Can You Remember". However, unlike oother firework shows ther is a memorable moment were a light bit of snowfall lands in different areas throughout Disneyland areas; Main Street USA, Small World Marketplace and New Orleans Square with the conclusion of the classic carol White Christmas". The grand finale is when the Sleeping Beauty Castle begins to light up with more than 80,000 shimmering LED lights that adorn the castle and turrets and creates the illusion that the castle is covered icicles and snow. Disney guests can see the Sleeping Beauty Castle transform into the Sleeping Beauty Winter Castle.
- A Christmas Fantasy Parade: Imagine being able to see Disney characters celebrate the holidays in their own wat! The Christmas Fantasy Parade features several themed floats featuring characters such as Belle and Beast, Mickey, Goofy and his son Max. Special guests include Toy Soldiers and dancing Reindeers followed by the star of the show, Santa Claus!
- Dazzling Dance Parties There will be seasonal dance parties at Disney California Adventure. With the Phineas and Ferb Dance Party, there will be great fun and dancing! The two mischievous brothers have decked their Mobile Party Mobile with snowflakes and lights so get ready to boogie down to some festive music! At the Mad-T Party, DJ White Rabbit will show off his mixing skills with seasonal songs.
- Three Kings Day: The holiday festival, Three Kings Day is a time of family, warmth and great performances! It is possible to celebrate this holiday at Disney's Viva Navidad area. There will be arts and crafts as well as musical performances. Be sure to have some delicious Rosca de Reyes!
- ""Holiday Time at Disneyland" Tour." Holiday Time at Disneyland Tour. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <disneyland.disney.go.com/events-tours/holiday-time-at-disneyland/>.
- "A Christmas Fantasy Parade." Disneyland Resort. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <disneyland.disney.go.com/entertainment/disneyland/christmas-fant....
- "Believe... In Holiday Magic." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 11 Nov. 2013. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Believe..._In_Holiday_Magic>.
- "Christmas at Disneyland - Candlelight Procession." - LaughingPlace.com: Disney World, Disneyland and More. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <www.laughingplace.com/Info-ID1000906.asp>.
- "Christmas at the Disneyland Resort." Christmas at Disneyland, Disneyland Holiday Events. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/Events/holiday-season.htm>.
- Davison, Steven. "PIXAR Brings 'Toy Story Nutcracker' to Life for 'World of Color – Winter Dreams' at Disney California Adventure Park." Disney Parks Blog RSS. N.p., 21 Oct. 2012. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/pixar-brings-toy-story-nut....
- "Disney Â¡Viva Navidad!." Latin Festival & Entertainment. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <disneyland.disney.go.com/entertainment/disney-california-adventu....
- "Disneyland Secrets [Infographic]." Disneyland Secrets. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <www.homeaway.com/info/travelers/travel-ideas/california-vacations....
- Fickley-Baker, Jennifer. "Jungle Cruise Goes 'Jingle Cruise' for the Holidays at Disneyland Park & Magic Kingdom Park." Disney Parks Blog RSS. N.p., 23 Oct. 2013. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/jungle-cruise-goes-jingle-....
- Frost, John. "Â¡Viva Navidad! Latin Holiday Special Coming to DCA, Nov. 15 – Jan. 6." The Disney Blog. N.p., 16 Oct. 2012. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <thedisneyblog.com/2013/10/16/viva-navidad-latin-holiday-special-c....
- Hust-Rivera, Heather. "Main Street, U.S.A. Holiday Fun Facts." Disney Parks Blog RSS. N.p., 2 Dec. 2009. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2009/12/main-street-u-s-a-holiday-....
- "Jingle Jangle Jamboree." Disneyland Resort. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <disneyland.disney.go.com/entertainment/disneyland/jingle-jangle-....
- Knox, Janet . "Disneyland Resort Guests Will Soon be Ice Skating at the Downtown Disney District." Disney Parks Blog RSS. N.p., 12 Oct. 2012. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/10/disneyland-resort-guests-w....
- McKlintock, John. "Hit the Ice This Holiday Season at the Downtown Disney Winter Village at the Disneyland Resort." Disney Parks Blog RSS. N.p., 25 Oct. 2012. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/hit-the-ice-this-holiday-s....
- "Meet Anna and Elsa from Frozen in Fantasyland." Meet Anna & Elsa from Frozen. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <disneyland.disney.go.com/entertainment/disneyland/meet-anna-and-....
- "Phineas and Ferb's Rockin' Rollin' Dance Party." Phineas and Ferb's Dance Party. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <disneyland.disney.go.com/entertainment/disney-california-adventu....
- Slater, Shawn. "Disney ¡Viva Navidad! Brings a Festive Celebration to Disney California Adventure Park." Disney Parks Blog RSS. N.p., 10 Oct. 2012. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/disney-viva-navidad-brings....
- Slater, Shawn. "Creating Holiday Traditions on Buena Vista Street at Disney California Adventure Park." Disney Parks Blog RSS. N.p., 1 Nov. 2012. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2012/11/creating-holiday-tradition....
- Slater, Shawn. "Celebrating 13 Frightfully Fun Seasons of Haunted Mansion Holiday at Disneyland Park." Disney Parks Blog RSS. N.p., 13 Sept. 2013. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/09/celebrating-13-frightfully....
- Slater, Shawn. "New Surprises in Store for ‘it's a small world’ Holiday at Disneyland Park." Disney Parks Blog RSS. N.p., 29 Oct. 2013. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/new-surprises-in-store-for....
- Swanson, Shannon. "http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/12/its-a-small-world-holiday-... Disney Parks Blog RSS. N.p., 7 Dec. 2011. Web. 11 Nov. 2013. <disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/new-surprises-in-store-for....