Learning about colors is an important educational goal for all preschoolers. Colors are all around us, so helping your children learn to identify them can be a natural activity as you go about your daily life. Reading books that emphasize various colors can reinforce these lessons. The following books feature orange, yellow and purple.
- "The Big Orange Splot" by Daniel Manus Pinkwater: When a seagull drops orange paint on Mr. Plumbean's house, he inspires a renovation of the most colorful sort.
- "Mathilda and the Orange Balloon" by Randall de Seve: Mathilda the sheep lives in a world of green and gray. One day, she spots an orange balloon, and it inspires her to imagine that she is the orange balloon.
- "In My New Yellow Shirt" by Eileen Spinelli: A little boy receives a yellow shirt for a gift, and it fuels his imagination for pretending to be all sorts of yellow things.
- "The Story about Ping" by Marjorie Flack: A small, yellow duck accidentally sets out on an adventure down the Yangtze River.
- "Harold and the Purple Crayon" by Crockett Johnson: Harold creates for himself an entire world of adventure with the help of his purple crayon.
- "Purple Little Bird" by Greg Foley: Purple Little Bird has a purple house, and everything in it is purple. He doesn't feel quite satisfied with it though, so he goes off and discovers a world of color, only to return to his own purple place.
Books are a delightful way to explore the world, so share these colorful books with your little one. For books about red, blue and green, see this companion article. Other colorful book ideas will be released soon. To be notified when these are published, click the "Subscribe" button above.