December 18, 2013
If you're fed up (literally) with advice telling you what not to eat, we agree. When it comes to weight loss, how about winning by learning which foods can naturally boost your metabolism to melt away the fat? Get the skinny below.
- Egg whites contain branched-chain amino acids, which keep your metabolism stoked, Chicago nutritionist David Grotto told Fox News. Make an egg white omelet, or use egg white protein powder, such as MRM All Natural Egg White Protein,French Vanilla (click for details).
- Lean meat gives you iron, and it's essential for a healthy metabolism. Not a meat eater? Try iron-fortified cereal, such as Total Whole Grain Cereal (click for details).
- Spicy foods give your metabolism a boost by generating heat that raises body temperature, says Tanya Zuckerbrot, author of "The Miracle Carb Diet: Make Calories and Fat Disappear--with Fiber!" (click for details). Since you’re apt to eat spicy foods slowly chances are you’ll feel full sooner on a smaller portion. Tip: Rev up your meal and metabolism with a dash of black pepper or some ginger.
- Harvard researchers examined the eating habits of 120,000 people for 20 years and found that yogurt was the single best food for shedding pounds. It boosts your feeling of fullness and reduces your overall intake of food.
- Drink coffee: Physiology & Behavior published a study showing that the average metabolic rate of people who drank caffeinated coffee was 16 percent higher than that of those who drank decaf. Try something different with Lavazza Crema e Gusto Ground Coffee (click for details).
- Go green: Green tea contains EGCG, which promotes fat-burning. Try delicate Japanese-style green tea, such as Stash Tea Company Premium Green Tea (click for details).