The media is buzzing with headlines on how to lose belly fat, yet for many people, it’s not always easy to know what is truth and what is hype.
The truth is, while overeating can certainly add on the pounds, especially in one’s midsection, even people who eat right and exercise religiously have stubborn fat in their belly area to contend with, and find themselves continually searching for answers on how to lose belly fat.
According to research documented in the Party Girl Diet’s new Super Abs Playbook, this is where managing stress hormones come’s into play, particularly cortisol. Cortisol is a stress hormone that triggers cravings for fat and carbs, and increases fat storage in the abdominal area, especially for women. While managing and/or trying eliminate unnecessary stress is an important lifestyle change for overall better health, the idea of being able to eliminate stress completely is not realistic.
The following 6 nutrition and lifestyle changes will work in helping you control your cortisol levels which will block the negative, belly fat inducing affects of this critical stress hormone:
- Sleeping 7 – 8 hours a night: Sleep Research documented in the Super Abs Playbook shows people who sleep about 8 hours a night have significantly less cortisol in their system, and significantly less cravings than people who do not get the proper amount of sleep.
- Probiotics: Consuming 1-cup of yogurt containing live bacterial cultures daily can help restore your supply of healthy bacteria in your gut, aiding in the reduction of digestive track issues such as constipation, bloating and gassiness. Studies report people will start seeing an marked improvement in their digestion in about 4 weeks. Probiotic foods are typically foods that have been fermented such as miso, sauerkraut, buttermilk, Kiefer, pickles, Kombucha, and more. Do check with your doctor or health care provider when starting any new health and/or fitness regimen.
- The Fiber-Factor: Fiber plays an essential role in keeping your digestive system running smoothly. For an easy fiber-fix - add more colorful fruits and vegetables to your diet (gradually), and snack on seeds and nuts. Chia seeds in particular are an excellent source of fiber, containing 6 grams of fiber in just 1 tablespoon. In addition, become an expert at reading labels and swap out 100% whole grain foods for those with little or no fiber content.
- Getting Physical: Studies show that exercising for just 17 minutes daily alleviates bloat for 80% of women. Exercise also increases perspiration, which flushes out trapped fluids. Try Circuit Training for a fun, quick workout, and to shake things up in the fitness department - check out California Living's - Top 10 easy & fun ways to burn calories on Examiner.com.
- Cinch it with Vitamin C: Here’s one easy nutrition fix to fight belly fat that will inhibit your body’s ability to make cortisol to begin with: Make sure you are getting the recommended amount of vitamin C in your diet daily. In addition to the obvious sources of foods providing vitamin C such as oranges, here are a few fresh ways to get your daily vitamin C:
- 1-cup of pineapple delivers 260% of the daily requirement of vitamin C and 2 grams of fiber.
- 6 oz. of vitamin C & calcium enriched Orange Juice provides 120% of your daily vitamin needs
- 2-kiwis deliver 240% of the daily vitamin C requirements and 4 grams of fiber.
- Green veggies such as kale, broccoli, and peppers are also excellent vitamin C rich foods to add to your diet.
6. Protein to the rescue: Adding a protein source to a high-carb meal such as topping off your plate of spaghetti with some homemade meatballs, or topping off your healthy salad with a serving of tuna, chicken or nuts will also keep blood sugar levels steady. Research shows that high blood sugar levels can trigger inflammation and add up to five pounds of fluid build up in body tissue.
Looking for 1 easy and delicious solution to lose belly fat? Start your day off with a nutritious and delicious smoothie made with plain, fat free Greek yogurt, pineapple, and chia seeds like the Super Abs Playbook Smoothie recently featured on Hawaii News Now Sunrise for an excellent way to get in your probiotics, vitamin C, fiber and protein…and the solution you’ve been looking for to lose belly fat, score flat abs, and live a healthier life.
Check out the Party Girl Diet's iMovie trailer for the Super Abs Playbook Diet & Workout Kindle Edition.