They make great breakfasts, fabulous smoothies and slimming substitutes for lunch. Protein powder can provide you with an easy, tasty way to boost your energy and whittle your waistline. However, choosing the right brand to provide you with those benefits is key, says Jillian Michaels, creator of "Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred" and "Slim for Life: My Insider Secrets to Simple, Fast, and Lasting Weight Loss" (click for details). In an interview with Everyday Health, Jillian offered these tips:
- Soy sorry: "I am personally not a fan of soy overall, including protein powders," says Jillian. A primary reason: "In America, more than 90 percent of soy is a GMO crop. This means it’s genetically modified. We don’t yet know the effects of GMOs in our bodies, but what we do know for sure is that they are genetically modified to specifically tolerate large amounts of chemical pesticides. Pesticides are terrible for our weight and our overall health."
- Whee for whey: "If you aren’t vegan, many consider whey to be the ideal protein powder. Pea, egg, hemp proteins, etc. are also fine, but whey, when taken from a quality product with branched chain aminos, is considered the most bioavailable and easily digested," says Jillian. Moreover: "Whey protein can be used to improve your overall physical health while also preventing diseases and infection. According to the Whey Protein Institute, whey protein can help to slow cancer growth in the body, prevent type 2 diabetes by controlling blood glucose levels and promote new skin growth to speed up wound healing."
We sampled some various soy-free options and recommend:
- With just 100 calories per serving, lots of fiber and protein, Pure Protein Natural Whey Protein, Vanilla Cream Shake is a winner (click for additional details).
- Aspartame-free, Body Fortress Whey Protein Powder makes a great start to the day because of its high protein content and satisfying flavor (click for additional details).
- It's not easy finding protein powders that are both soy-free and dairy-free. However, Sunwarrior Warrior Blend Powder, Vanilla flavor has all those attributes, and it's also gluten-free (click for additional details).