Whenever I'm out of the country for an extended time, what I sometimes do on the way home from Sea-Tac Airport is make a stop at Dick's. After dining on foreign flavors, a Dick's Special, Fries and Coke really hits the spot.
Dick's Drive-In is wrapping up it 60th Anniversary celebration this month. The original Dick's opened in Wallingford in 1954 and now the family-run business (owner Dick Spady is 90) has six locations. The others include Broadway, Holman Road, Lake City, Queen Anne and Edmonds. Here's a timeline taken from their website:
- 1954 - First Dick's Drive-In opens on January 28 on 45th Street in Wallingford. Burger 19 cents, fries 11 cents, shake 21 cents.
- 1955 - Dick's opens on Broadway
- 1960 - Dick's opens on Holman Road
- 1963 - Dick's opens in Lake City
- 1971 - Burger Revolution: Dick's Special & Dick's Deluxe added to the menu
- 1974 - Dick's opens at the bottom of Queen Anne Hill
- 1994 - Dick's 40th Anniversary
- 2004 - Dick's 50th Anniversary
- 2010 - Dick's makes national news with online poll. More than 115,000 people vote on where to build the next Dick's.
- 2011 - Dick's opens Edmonds drive-in to record crowds. First new Dick's in 37 years.
- 2014 - Dick's 60th Anniversary. Burger $1.25, fries $1.50, shake $2.15.
The cash-only operation, which boasts ATMs at all locations, hasn't changed its menu all that much since making its debut. It prides itself on 100% real ground beef, locally made buns made fresh daily and 100% real potatoes for its hand cut fries.
To wrap up the 60th Anniversary celebration, enjoy 2 for 1 Cheeseburgers on Tuesday, January 28 from 2-6:30 PM and 10-cent Cokes on Friday, January 31 all day long. Available at all locations.
Friday, January 31, Queen Anne Dick's, Final 60th Anniversary Celebration, 7-9:30 PM
- 7PM - Live music by the British Beats
- 8PM - Dick's Deluxe Fan Winner Announced
- 8:25 PM - Music continues