Every August, thousands of high school football players return to the field with the goal of winning a championship. Before beginning their quest, the team must survive a grueling week of conditioning, skills training and football strategy. Watch as the Station Camp High School varsity football team toughs out the August heat from dawn till dusk, all in the name of becoming a team. Hell Week has all the make-up of what draws athletes at all levels to sports in the first place.
This inspiring story encouraged me to share a few football conditioning drills:
The Gut Buster 9 from the Art of Manliness
1. Go to an open field and set up two cones or other markers, about 40 yards apart.
2. Stand by one of the cones and start off by performing 10 squat jumps.
3. Immediately following the squat jumps, sprint as fast as you can to the other cone.
4. Upon reaching the cone, perform 10 sit-ups.
5. After the sit-ups, sprint back to the original cone and do 10 up-downs or burpees.
Continue to sprint back and forth between the cones, performing the following exercises:
6. Sprint followed by 10 push-ups.
7. Sprint followed by 10 mountain climbers.
8. Sprint followed by 10 butt kickers.
9. Sprint followed by 10 jumping jacks
10. Sprint followed by 10 push-ups
11. Sprint one forty-yard dash to finish the drill.
For more drills click here!
Station Camp opens its season live on ESPN2 on Sunday, Aug. 25 at 12 p.m. ET versus Beech High School. For more information on DICK’S Sporting Goods Films Presents Hell Week, visit www.dicks.com/hellweek.
Hell Week will air on ESPN2 nationally on Thursday, Aug. 22, at 7:30 p.m. ET and replay on ESPNU through Aug. 26.
FOR ALL MY FITNESS UPDATES....