A group of witnesses just outside of Aberdeen, NC, reported watching a "black, diamond-shaped UFO" just above the tree line that turned upside down and disappeared into the night sky about 7:40 p.m. on January 2, 2013, according to testimony from the Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) witness reporting database.
The group was returning from a trip to the beach and were about 30 minutes outside of Aberdeen when the object was first observed.
"We all looked out the side window and observed what looked to be a diamond-shaped craft, descending at an odd angle," the reporting witness stated. "It was just above the tree line and it had five lights, four white ones on each corner and a red blinking one in the middle. It was very large in size"
The witness described the object's size.
"I'm not sure exactly - maybe 40-50 feet - maybe more. It's hard to gauge size when you're looking at something you can't explain. Anyway we watched and listened as it made no sound."
The object moved quickly away.
"It flipped upside down and disappeared into the night sky. When it flipped you could see one of the lights as stationary so the whole thing must have completely rotated upside down. Then it took off and it was gone."
No images or videos were included with the MUFON report, which was filed on January 3, 2013. The above quotes were edited for clarity. Aberdeen is a town in Moore County, population 3,400.
Recent North Carolina coverage includes:
- Skeptic expresses fear after low UFO encounter in North Carolina
- Black triangle UFO approaches witness silently in North Carolina
- Charlotte witness can't identify 11 lights moving in formation
- North Carolina teens discover UFOs appear on Thursday nights
- North Carolina witnesses watch hovering object over nearby field
- Witness says UFO moves out of North Carolina cloud formation
- National reports of 'fireball objects' on the increase over past year
- North Carolina teen watches seven triangle UFOs under 40 feet
- North Carolina family reports objects hovering over Lake Wylie
- Witness describes orbs in triangle formations over North Carolina
- Hundred foot oval object reported over Long View, North Carolina
- Two triangle UFOs move low over North Carolina neighborhood
- North Carolina hillside lights up close to witnesses' home
Recent coverage of diamond-shaped UFOs includes:
- Texas witnesses report multiple objects moving at high speed
- UFO hovering at tree line moves toward New Hampshire couple
- Diamond-shaped object reported hovering low over Illinois town
- Diamond-shaped UFO reported at 500 feet over Missouri town
- Montana witness says golden diamond object not a meteor
- Pennsylvania veteran can't identify 'saucer' UFO moving overhead
- Witness says diamond-shaped object 'unlike anything ever seen'
- Witness says diamond-shaped object emitted humming noise
North Carolina is a current UFO ALERT 4 rating, with a higher than average number of UFO sightings nationally. North Carolina had 19 reports in December 2012 - the 7th highest reporting state while California had 75 reports - the highest reporting state in the nation.
You can read more details about other recently reported cases at the UFO Examiner home page.
The following is the unedited report filed with MUFON. Please keep in mind that most UFO reports can be explained as something natural or manmade. If North Carolina MUFON State Director Lakita Adams investigates and reports back on this case, I will release an update. Please report UFO activity to MUFON.com.
January 2, 2013, 7:40 p.m., outside Aberdeen, Moore County, NC. Black diamond shaped UFO, we observed 5 lights, one on each corner and one blinking red one in the center, it was at an angle as it looked to be descending then it flipped upside down and disappeared into the night sky. Case 44972.
We were driving back from a beach trip, we were about thirty minutes outside of Aberdeen when my friend Tim said "that plane is flying weird". We all looked out the side window and observed what looked to be a diamond shaped craft, descending at an odd angle, it was just above the tree line and it had five lights, four white ones on each corner and a red blinking one in the middle, it was very large in size, Im not sure exactly maybe 40-50 feet, maybe more, its hard to gauge size when youre looking at something you cant explain, anyway we watched and listened, as it made no sound, and it flipped upside down and disappeared into the night sky, when it flipped you could see one of the lights as stationary so the whole thing must have completely rotated upside down, then it took off and it was gone. As we were watching it, we all tried to rationalize what we were seeing, oh its a plane, its some secret military project, but our rational minds began to fail us when we saw it flip upside down while one light stayed stationary, we knew no man made craft that could maneuver like that, we just observed in awe and wonder, we werent afraid, we were more excited than anything, we had just seen a UFO and we never would have if Tim hadnt noticed the odd angle it was flying at, so we saw it as a unique experience that we all get to share now for the rest of our lives, it was truly a once in a lifetime experience and I know we will never forget it.