Chicken-Onion Meatloaf with Sambal-Worcestershire Gravy
Ming Tsai, of Blue Ginger, from Simply Ming in Your Kitchen: 80 Recipes to Watch, Learn, Cook & Enjoy by Ming Tsai with Arthur Boehm, Kyle Books, 2012.
“Everyone loves meatloaf—when it’s done right. This meatloaf recipe features dark chicken meat, which not only delivers great taste but is better for you than the usual beef. The gravy is flavored with Worcestershire, an underused condiment that’s a tart foil for the sambal. I often make this dish just for the leftovers—a sandwich of the sliced loaf on toasted bread with crisp lettuce and hot Dijon mustard will make you very, very happy.”
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola oil, plus more for oiling the pan
- 3 large onions, diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 pounds ground dark chicken meat
- 1 cup cooked brown or white rice
- ½ cup chopped parsley, plus about
- 12 leaves for garnish
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 tablespoon sambal or other chile seasoning
- ¼ cup organic Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups fresh chicken stock or low-sodium bought
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and swirl to coat the pan. When the oil is hot, add the onions, season with salt and pepper,add the garlic and sauté, stirring, until caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer two-thirds of the mixture to a large bowl and let cool.Add the chicken, rice and parsley, blend and season with salt and pepper.
- Test the seasoning by sautéing 1 tablespoon of the mixture in a little hot oil or in a microwave for 20 seconds on high power. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Transfer the mixture to the pan without packing it tightly and pat the top smooth. Bake until cooked through, about 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, then unmold, and slice. Transfer the slices to a platter or individual plates.
- Meanwhile, heat the pan with the remaining onion mixture over medium-high heat. Add the 1 teaspoon of oil and swirl to coat the pan. Add the celery, season with salt and pepper and sauté, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the sambal,Worcestershire sauce, stock and meat drippings, bring to a simmer, and cook to reduce by one-quarter, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Whisk in three-quarters of the cornstarch slurry in a thin stream, season with salt and pepper, and simmer until lightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Spoon the sauce over the meatloaf, garnish with the parsley leaves, and serve.
- The recipe directs you to test the loaf mixture for seasoning by cooking a bit of it. This may seem fussy, but it’s really necessary to ensure best flavor.
- To Drink: A spicy California Zinfandel, like Ridge East Bench
© Simply Ming in Your Kitchen: 80 Recipes to Watch, Learn, Cook & Enjoy by Ming Tsai with Arthur Boehm, Kyle Books, 2012.