There are several factors needed when developing an argumentative essay. One of the first items is to be knowledgeable of both sides of the debate. The second item is capturing the audience's attention; build rapport with the people who are listening.
1. One goal of the argumentative essay is to persuade; therefore, the topic needs to be debatable.
2. Acknowledge the pros and the cons.
3. When collecting documentation, evaluate sources to make sure they are credible.
4. Create an outline.
5. Develop the introduction, which introduces the topic, presents an overview of the issue, and establishes a claim.
6. Each thesis point in the claim becomes an integral part of the essay that must be developed though examples and support.
7. Include a rebuttal, acknowledging the opposing side.
8. Reiterate the introduction and thesis.