A devastating fire has left nearly 100 small animals dead inside of a PetSmart store in Jackson, Tenn., reported Monday's WBBJ ABC 7 News.
The fire, which broke out on Sunday morning, claimed dozens of lives; among the dead were 40 birds and 53 other small animals.
Investigators believe that the fire may have stemmed from an electrical failure - possibly from a fixture which was inside of a bird cage.
Many of the deceased animals died from smoke inhalation.
Jackson-Madison County EMA Director Marty Clements stated:
“It was filled with smoke, so you know animals are just like humans, they gotta breath and have clean air,”
The Vann Drive store is temporarily closed and the surviving animals have been transported to a temporary shelter.
The Jackson-Madison County Humane Society has six cats inside of the retail store at the time that the fire broke out - they all survived.
If you would like to continue receiving the latest animal-related news, tips and advice, please click the "Subscribe" icon which is located at the top of this column.
It is free and anonymous to sign up For updates and further discussion, follow the National Dog News Examiner on Facebook and Twitter!
I am human; if you see a typo, please let me know. Questions, comments or story ideas can be emailed to Eims1@live.com.