Okay, you know Detroit as the automotive capital of the world. But did you know the Detroit business community has also had an enormous impact on another of America’s favorite past times? The Motor City corporate world is actually responsible for the production of more pizzas every day than automobiles and trucks.
Mike and Marian Ilitch founded what would become one of America’s top five pizza chains by dollar volume in 1959. They selected Garden City for the first location and named the company Pizza Treat. But Marian referred to her husband as her little Caesar so eventually that name would banner over the door.
The following year Tom Monaghan and his brother James would purchase DomNick’s Pizza in a Ypsilanti on Detroit’s west side. His investment was just $975. Today that meager investment has become the nation’s second largest pizza chain and largest chain of pizza delivery restaurants.
Detroit has a long-standing tradition of revolutionizing business. Ford invented the assembly line to make cars faster and cheaper. Motown’s pizza entrepreneurs were no different.
At Little Caesar’s they decided to give two pizzas for the price of one at other pizza places. Marketed as “Pizza Pizza” they quickly became known for value. Other chains followed but none experienced the success of the Ilitch team. Domino’s tried the two for one concept but they would differentiate themselves with a much more popular promotional: free delivery in less than thirty minutes. Although this promotion would become controversial and require discontinuation, it made Domino’s the king of home delivery for many years.
Helpful article series
- 7 Deadly sins of signage.
- 5 Deadly small business mistakes.
- Top tips for using Linked In- a series of the top three best practices for using Linked In to build business.
- Top marketing mistakes- includes a humorous video of leading marketing mistakes.
- Differentiate the right way- a series of articles about best practices in attracting customers.
Business development by the numbers
- “60 Insights for Mastering Business Development”.
- “8 Pillars of Career and Business Success”.
- “5 Kick-A** Strategies Every Business Needs”: to explode sales, stun the competition, wow customers and achieve exponential growth.
- “The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership”: Follow them and people will follow you.
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons. Paperback, Kindle, Apple or Nook.
- “The New Leader's 100-Day Action Plan”: How to take charge, build your team, and get immediate results