Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford versus Philadelphia quarterback Nick Foles should be a major story element in Sunday afternoon's game between the Lions and the Eagles.
According to Yahoo! Sports fantasy football scoring system, Stafford is ranked No. 3 among quarterbacks based on per game averages and Foles is No. 4. The Lions quarterback averages 24.2 points, 2.5 touchdowns and 318.8 passing yards per game. The Eagles quarterback averages 22.6 points, 2.3 touchdowns and 199 passing yards per game.
One major difference is Foles has not thrown an interception this year, while Stafford has tossed 14. The Lions starting QB has thrown more passes (500) than the Eagles starting QB (196).
This game also features some other interesting story elements:
- Two 7-5 teams battling for playoff positions
- Two top 10 running backs - Philadelphia's LeSean McCoy versus Detroit's Reggie Bush
- Three top 30 wide receivers - Calvin Johnson of the Lions versus DeSean Jackson and Riley Cooper of the Eagles
- Two talented pairs of tight ends - Detroit's Brandon Pettigrew and Joseph Fauria versus Philadelphia's Zach Ertz and Brent Celek
"Hometown Hero" - It is Matthew Stafford's game to win. He finally beat Green Bay on Thanksgiving Day in convincing fashion. Now he must prove he and his teammates can beat a playoff contender in hostile Philadelphia. Stafford needs to score at least 24 fantasy football points to beat the Eagles.
"Surprise and Delight" - The Lions' tight ends - Pettigrew and Fauria - are going to have one touchdown each in this game.
"Hometown Zero" - Micheal Spurlock started the year as the Lions' return specialist, but the job now belongs to Jeremy Ross. Ross has also been used in passing situations.
"And one more thing . . ." - The Lions are playing a playoff contender with a hot quarterback on the road. If the defensive line can rise up and dominate the line of scrimmage like they did against the Green Bay Packers on Thanksgiving Day, then Detroit will win the game.
Summary - The Michigan Gnome and I are both 6-6, because I picked the Lions to beat the Packers on Thanksgiving Day and he picked Green Bay. Detroit won the game, 40-10.
Maybe it is the positive vibes of the holiday season, but Gnome and I are picking Detroit to beat Philadelphia, 28-24.
"I wish I had him this week" - For Detroit fantasy owners with stars from other teams, here are three players that should have a better than average game in week #14:
- Quarterback Peyton Manning, Denver Broncos
- Running back Jamaal Charles, Kansas City Chiefs
- Wide receiver Alshon Jeffery, Chicago Bears
"Expect a Downturn" - Here are three players whose performances will be on fantasy football's downside in week 14:
- Quarterback Kellen Clemens, St. Louis Rams
- Running back DeAngelo Williams, Carolina Panthers
- Wide receiver Michael Crabtree, San Francisco 49ers
Feel free to share your feedback, insights, suggestions or questions by commenting on this article, tweeting me @denimartin, or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.