If you look up “application” in the Fourth Edition of the Webster’s New World College Dictionary, you won’t find any reference to smart phones. In fact, the closest thing to the any software reference is “any specific task, as billing or inventory, to be performed by a program [i.e., applications software].” You won’t find any definition to the “apps” on your smart phone.
You also won’t find any connection to the abbreviation “app” in the same dictionary. According to the dictionary, app is short for appendix, applied, appointed, apprentice, or approved.
Today’s apps – as we know them – are much more important to most people than any of the aforementioned dictionary abbreviations. I would be hard pressed to give a definitive answer to the total number of apps available. Let me rephrase that, I can't possibly list the total number of mobile apps available since the number increases exponentially by the minute.
Out of curiosity, I checked the number of apps on my Apple iPhone that had the name “Detroit” in them. Surprisingly, the number was small – 209. Maybe by next week or the time you read this the number will also grow exponentially.
Just for gags, try a few of these on for size:
• All major media outlets i.e. the Detroit Free Press, WXYZ-TV, et al
• All major sports teams, i.e. Detroit Tigers, Detroit Red Wings, et al’
• Entertainment venues, i.e. Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Detroit Zoo, et al
• Detroit maps and landmark locations
• “You Know You are From Detroit”
• The Kwame Kilpatrick Trial
• Detroit Metro Airport Flight Tracker
• Detroit bars and restaurants
• Detroit churches
• Babcock’s Death Stare (Red Wing coach Mike Babcock)
• Ford Motor Company at the Auto Show
• DMC Pedometer
• Michigan Courts
There are all kinds of apps from local businesses and travel guides, too. Bu probably the most obscure one I ran across was the “Wayne Fontes Experience.” Even though it is free and intriguing, I’ll take a pass on that one.
And if you have a Linkedin account and want to tell me how many apps you have and what your favorite is, click on this link: http://linkd.in/YOSLHy
I have 37 apps and my favorites are “Indeed” (for job hunting) and “Dilbert” (for comic humor). How about you, metro Detroiters?