Concerns over the return of designer drugs to the Boston club scene are rising after a 19-year-old woman died and two others were in serious condition, possibly overdosing on "molly", an alleged pure-powder form of Ecstasy, at the House of Blues in Boston on Tuesday night.
Brittany Flannigan, a college sophomore from New Hampshire, and two others, a male and female, were rushed to Beth Israel Hospital, apparent victims of drug overdoses
The male was reported to struggle violently with emergency room staff with the surviving female arriving unconscious. Flannigan was unable to be resuscitated after receiving CPR.
According to Boston Police Media Relations, officers responded to the House of Blues located at 15 Lansdowne Street near Fenway Park about 12:45 a.m. Wednesday morning on a report of the overdoses.
A nurse in the emergency room reported to police that two pink pills were found in the jeans pocket and a white powder in the bra of the surviving victim.
Her identity has not been released, however, she has been summonsed to court to face charges of possession of Class B and E drugs.
Sold in a powder form in capsules for $15 to $20 a pill, molly can be taken in pill form, snorted or mixed with drinks, is popular due to its effects of reducing anxiety and creating a feeling of "happiness".
Molly is a man-made synthetic drug that can easily be cut with other substances such as amphetamines, caffeine, PCP or cocaine which puts the purity of the MDMA in question.
According to a report in the Boston Herald, police have reported that officers and DEA agents recently seized 2 kilograms of molly in Boston and 3 kilograms just outside of the the city.
Homicide detectives are currently investigating the circumstances around Tuesday's incident which occurred during a performance by Zedd, a German electronic music producer and DJ.
The House of Blues received a citation for the overdoses and is scheduled to appear before the city's alcohol licensing board next week.