The percentage who are unemployed or “underemployed”—working in a job that typically does not require a bachelor’s degree—has risen, particularly since the 2001recession. Recent college graduates, specifically design students, are struggling to find jobs and more than 44% of them across the U.S find themselves still unemployed 6 to 12 months after graduation. Design students are inherently conceptual and often need time after graduation to transition into the real-world market. We call this “Navigating the Bridge." Students who are trapped on the bridge often end up accepting discouraging positions to gain knowledge of the real-world market, a situation which is earth-shatteringly unfair.
Their research on 200 hundred design students shows that recent design graduates needs to have 70% real- world connections and 30% relevant experiences to get their first job. The fact is they need job to get experience, while they mostly need a experiences to get job. Although internships may be useful in some cases, unfortunately, they require students to have significant financial resources. In fact, having huge savings at a young age or parents who are willing to be financially supportive has become a requirement to acquire an internship that makes connections and a valuable portfolio.
What is it? An exclusive community of design students, alumni, faculty & employers coming together to learn, teach and work on real-world projects.
We are different from all the existing platforms due to the following reasons:
1. Exclusive to Students | We are exclusive to design students, alumni and faculty with “.edu" email addresses, as well as valuable notable employers.
2. Educational Integration | Users can create workshops and teach their skills to other students and even schools, and on the other hand participants can gain badges and increase their skills level in our platform.
3. External & Internal Opportunities | We not only collect internal opportunities such as workshops, talks, and other events that happen around the campus, but we also bring in some real-world projects from external organizations.
4. Portfolio Integration | Our system collects students' info and records all their projects and activities and automatically generates a customizable portfolio for them.
5. Social Media Integration | Students can like, comment, and see reviews on every opportunity and this creates transparency for students who wants to consider an opportunity.
6. Project Management Integration | Students can receive customized opportunities based on their skills, pitch for real-world projects, sign online contracts with employers, submit their design and receive feedback, and ultimately get compensated all in one place through our platform.
7. Educational Badges | Each opportunity is assigned to some educational badges that student can obtain to showcase their extra activities to future employers, also improving their skills level in our system.
You can support them here