If Sens. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., Barbara Boxer, D-Calif., and Mazie Hirono, D-Hawaii, have their way, Barack Obama -- and future presidents -- will not need to go to Congress to raise the debt ceiling. A bill introduced by the three Democrats would give the president the authority to increase the debt limit unless Congress subsequently voted to disapprove that increase, CNS News reported Wednesday. The bill, in effect, would grant Obama dictatorial power over the debt ceiling and further shred the Constitution.
The bill would seem to run counter to Article 1, Section 8, Clause 2 of the Constitution, which gives Congress, not the president, the power to borrow money.
The proposal, called the "Pay Our Bills Act," would “permanently allow Congress to disapprove debt ceiling increases, instead of approving them.”
“When our debt comes within $100 billion of the debt limit, the president can send Congress a certification that the debt limit needs to be increased by a certain amount. Then Congress has 15 days to vote on a resolution of disapproval, just like we’re doing here in a few hours. This would allow Congress to fully debate and vote on the debt limit. A majority vote would carry in the House and Senate,” Boxer said.
Proponents say it's a bipartisan piece of legislation that will remove the debt ceiling as a political tool, and will make the so-called "McConnell plan" permanent.
But Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., says the legislation looks nothing like what he introduced in 2011.
“Now, I hear that the Senator from New York is going to try and sell his proposal as a quote-unquote ‘McConnell Plan.’ I appreciate the attempt at a PR gimmick here, but there are two huge differences between the ‘Schumer-Obama Plan’ and what I’ve proposed in the past,” McConnell said.
His plan, he said, did not permanently raise the debt ceiling, and it included reforms and spending cuts. The plan introduced by the Democrats do neither of those things.
“He wants to extend the debt ceiling permanently by going around Congress. Let me repeat that: the so-called ‘Schumer-Obama Plan’ is a plan to permanently hand the President a credit card without spending limits, and without lifting a finger to address the national debt. It’s outrageous,” he added.
The bill also does something Democrats have wanted for some time. It grants Obama dictatorial power over something the Constitution clearly says is Congressional authority.
- Harry Belafonte: Obama should work like third world dictator and jail GOP
- Nancy Pelosi: Give Obama dictatorial power to raise debt limit to infinity
- Mark Levin warns: Obama preparing country for coup against Constitution
- Liberal Daily Kos diarist calls for 'benevolent' Obama dictatorship
- The case against re-electing Barack Hussein Obama, part 2
- More liberal Democrats call on Obama to rule like a dictator on the debt ceiling
- Sheila Jackson Lee urges Pres. Obama to rule like a dictator on debt ceiling
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez wants Obama to rule like a dictator on illegal immigration
- Former Pres. Bill Clinton: Obama should use 14th Amendment to bypass Congress
- Democrats call on Obama to bypass Congress and invoke 14th Amendment
- GOP Rep: Obama should be impeached if he tries to usurp Congress on debt
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.