The impact of Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia is touching most workplaces. According to a survey by Workplace Options of Raleigh, N. C., one in seven American workers is an active or former caregiver to someone diagnosed with the ailment.
According to the Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH) there were 240,000 persons in the state with dementia in 2013.
The state defines dementia as an impairment in thinking abilities that persists long enough and is severe enough to interfere with daily functions. Alzheimer's disease is the most common cause of dementia in the elderly, according to MDCH, with other dementia causing diseases that include Lewy Body disease, vascular disease, Parkinson's disease and Huntington's disease.
The state developed workshop materials called “Developing Meaningful Connections with People with Dementia”. The work does not carry a copyright so employers can use the material to help their associates dealing with the dementia of a loved one. The document is 330 pages so you may want to seek help from MDCH make the strongest presentation to assist employers and individuals in connecting to love ones with dementia.
Other organizations offering help
- Greater Michigan Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association: www.alzgmc.org/
- Lewy Body Dementia Association, Inc.: http://www.lewybodydementia.org/
- Michigan Alzheimer's Disease Research Center: Sitemaker.med.umich.edu/madrc
- Michigan Parkinson Foundation: www.parkinsonsmi.org
Additional Diversity Resources
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
Diversity by the numbers
- “Three Cups of Tea”: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time
- “35 Dumb Things Well-Intended People Say”: Surprising Things We Say That Widen the Diversity Gap.
- “50 Activities” for Promoting Communication and Understanding at Work: The Diversity Training Activity Book
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons. Paperback, Kindle, Apple or Nook.