It takes a special brand of self-delusion to watch IRS Commissioner John Koskinen make a circus out of his inability to explain the loss of two years’ worth of potentially incriminating emails and congratulate him for his loyal service to the nation. Eleanor Holmes Norton, nonvoting delegate to the U.S. House of Representatives, demonstrated that quality following yesterday’s feisty exchange between members of the House Oversight Committee and Koskinen when she thanked the commissioner for his loyal service to the nation.
From the tone of Norton’s remarks, you’d think Koskinen was defending himself against nonsensical allegations that he had parked in someone else’s spot. What makes Norton’s reaction to the proceedings particularly puzzling is that Koskinen is not conducting himself in a manner that most politicians on either side of the aisle would find sympathetic. An example can be found in this exchange between him and GOP Rep. Mike Turner:
Turner: [D]estruction of evidence of a crime is in fact a crime. And you can’t testify today that no one … that there was no crime committed in the destruction of her emails, right? You can only say you have no evidence of a crime having been committed in the destruction of these emails.
Koskinen: I have no evidence whether [Lois Lerner] beat her dog, whether she beat children. I have no evidence of a whole series of things.
Luckily for the Democrats, Senator Claire McCaskill appeared on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe” to offer assurances that not everyone on the left is blind Koskinen’s antics. In the video here, the Missouri Democrat tells hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski:
It looks terrible. And it allows — there have been a lot of hearings on this and honestly, it gives some much steam behind this as an issue. And I get it. And it’s awful. And this guy did a terrible job, being arrogant, yesterday. We all think of the IRS as arrogant anyway and he kind of confirmed that.
- IRS Commissioner insists law hasn’t been broken, admits he doesn’t know the law
- IRS will likely step up attacks on free speech after 2014 election
- Lerner’s computer mysteriously ‘crashed’ 10 days after House investigation began
- Networks finally notice IRS’s dubious claim of lost emails
- GOP Rep. Steve Stockman proposes ‘Dog Ate My Tax Receipts Act’
- Fun fact: Guess where current IRS commish used to work
- Oops. IRS chief didn’t read agency manual, says emails not ‘official record’
- IRS Chief: ‘I don’t think an apology is owed’ for lost emails
- MSNBC's Mika Brzezinski explodes over judge stopping sugary drink ban, claims soft drink makers poisoning children