Lewis compared GOP resistance to Obamacare to opposition to civil rights legislation in the 1950s.
“Just reminds me of another period in our history. Not so long ago during the 50s, many Southern senators signed a Southern Manifesto after the Supreme Court decision of 1954. And those senators — along with many Southern governors — subscribed to the doctrine of interposition and notification and some even massive resistance," he said.
“That’s what we saw on the part of the Republican members of the House and some of the Republicans in the Senate,” he added.
But, the Daily Caller said, 97 of the 99 politicians who signed the Southern Manifesto -- a document opposing integration -- were Democrats, not Republicans.
Lewis went on to claim health care is a right "and not a privilege.”
“The Affordable Care Act is the law of the land,” he said. “It was passed by the Congress, signed into law by the president of the United States and upheld by the United States Supreme Court. There have been more than 40 attempts to repeal the act and it did not succeed. By attempting to repeal it, members of this body, members on the other side of the aisle, closed down this government and threatened the economy for the United States, costing us more than $24 billion.”
Lewis, however, was incorrect in his recollection of the recent government shutdown, which happened after Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., refused to consider a single GOP proposal to fund the government while either delaying or defunding Obamacare.
The committee took testimony from Marilyn Tavenner, the administrator for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, about the botched rollout of the healthcare website.
“I want to apologize to you that the website is not working as well as it should," she said.
The administration has also admitted it wasn't entirely truthful when the president repeatedly promised that Americans could keep their health insurance if they liked it. Worse yet, the administration knew for years this would be the case.
- Obama admin knew of policy cancellations for years, claims ACA not responsible
- Video shows 19 times Obama lied about reducing insurance premiums by $2500 per year
- White House admits: Despite promises, some will lose current insurance coverage
- GOP Rep.: Obamacare website unsafe, unsecure, may have to be rebuilt
- Obamacare operator fired for taking Hannity call gets year’s salary
- Video: Kathleen Sebelius says she doesn’t work for people who want her to resign
- Nancy Pelosi: GOP ‘sabotage’ hindering implementation of Obamacare
- Liberals blame Koch brothers, Tea Party conspiracy for Obamacare site failure
- Juan Williams blames GOP for Obamacare software failures (Video)
- Dem. Rep. John Conyers: Massive Obamacare law a ‘very small and modest bill’
- John Conyers: Obamacare “platform” to socialized health care
- Nancy Pelosi: Obamacare about the freedom to choose happiness
- About that Obamacare penalty: The government has no way of enforcing it
- Report: Obamacare provision will allow ‘forced’ home inspections by gov’t agents
- Architect of Obamacare to release comic book explaining law
- Sebelius: Obamacare to favor gays over straight people
- Most native Americans pay no deductibles or copays with Obamacare
- MSNBC’s Chris Matthews: Orrin Hatch unpatriotic for not worshiping Obama, calling Obamacare a ‘bill’