Today is National Milk Day. Celebrate dairy products by whipping up a fresh and filling Ricotta and spinach medley. One of the best parts of the recent holidays was sharing memories and trading recipes with family and friends. As lights twinkled and gifts lay wrapped under the tree, funny stories brought relatives who have passed on into the room, if only in spirit. While remembering a loyal family friend, we thought of her cooking, and the way guests enjoyed her Ricotta and spinach "pie" with a salad for a special lunch or brunch. Through her recipe, Mary D. Still shares her warmth.
Mary D.'s Ricotta and Spinach "Pie" Recipe
- 1/2 cup chopped, cooked spinach
- 1 lb. Ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 zucchini (thinly sliced)
- 1 small green pepper (diced)
- olive oil
- 1/8 tsp. Dried dill weed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted (for topping)
- optional- 1 cup of cubed, cooked ham
- Begin by cooking the Spinach ahead of time.
- Then preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Sauté the sliced mushrooms, zucchini, and green pepper in a skillet until soft.
- Optional-add the cubes of cooked ham and Sauté for an additional two minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and let contents cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the Ricotta cheese, the grated mozzarella cheese, the eggs, and the vegetable (and ham) mixture from the skillet.
- Squeeze the cooked spinach to remove excess moisture.
- Add the cooked spinach, olive oil, dried dill weed, salt, and pepper.
- Oil a 9 and 1/2 inch pie pan (This will make the "pie" easier to cut later).
- Transfer the mixture evenly into the pie plate.
- Sprinkle the top lightly with just enough melted butter to cover it.
- Cook in the oven for approximately 45 minutes (or until firm).
- Enjoy a lovely, loyal friend's family favorite!