As you begin to maneuver your way through eating a gluten-free diet, you will certainly wonder and learn what foods you can and cannot eat safely. Your best bet is to start with a few basics and build on that foundation. This will be a lifelong journey, so take your time as you try new foods and ingredients.
This recipe is a great substitute if you were thinking about cooking beans and rice. It is different, but the textures and flavor of the dish are delicious! Quinoa is a nutty grain from South America
Gluten free quinoa and black beans
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Mix quinoa into onion mixture and cover with vegetable broth; season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until quinoa is tender and broth is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes; mix in the black beans and cilantro.
- Great alternative to black beans and rice
- If you only have one can of black beans that will do fine. The recipe really doesn’t need both cans.
- This could easily be a main dish instead of a side dish. Just add a meat or vegetables like zucchini and tomato to make it a bit heartier, as it is a very light dish.
As you continue on your gluten-free journey, always be open to trying new ingredients with varying textures and flavors. You will be surprised at how many wonderful new foods you will find as you continue on this food adventure.
Thanks for reading Raleigh Food! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!