Soon it will be asparagus season, and harvesting will begin with home gardeners. Asparagus will also be found at the area farm markets, so there is no reason not to enjoy this seasonal delicacy.
Here are several recipes that feature asparagus.
1 clove garlic
1 leek or several green onions
2 pounds fresh asparagus
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
2 cups cream or half-and-half
Cayenne to taste
- Separate asparagus tops from stems.
- Save all and chop the stem, steaming until tender.
- Sauté garlic.
- In a blender, add the asparagus stems, garlic, butter, flour, onions and milk.
- Mix well.
- Remove from blender and pour into medium saucepan.
- Heat on stove at medium until hot.
- Add cream or half-and-half.
- Add asparagus tops.
- Serve with dash of cayenne.
1 1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- In a skillet, cook asparagus in a small amount of water until crisp-tender, about 6-8 minutes; drain.
- Arrange spears in bottom of greased 1 1/2-quart baking dish; set aside and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add flour; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Whisk in cream, bouillon, nutmeg and salt; bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in cheese until melted.
- Pour over asparagus.
Prosciutto wrapped asparagus
6 ounces sliced prosciutto, halved horizontally
1 pound asparagus, trimmed
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Wrap halved prosciutto slice on each asparagus spear at an angle, covering the entire length of the spear.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add asparagus and cook until prosciutto is crisp and asparagus is tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Baked asparagus and cheese omelet
1 pound pencil-thin asparagus, ends trimmed
3 ounces Havarti cheese, cubed
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 shallot, chopped
5 large eggs
1 1/3 cups half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9-inch quiche or pie pan.
- Bring 1 inch water to a boil in a skillet.
- Add asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water, then pat dry; set skillet aside.
- Arrange asparagus in prepared pan.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Melt butter in same skillet over medium heat; add shallot and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer shallot to a bowl; add eggs, half-and-half, salt and pepper; and blend with a fork.
- Pour over asparagus and cheese.
- Bake omelet until puffed and golden, about 40 minutes.
2 pounds fresh asparagus
- Steam asparagus in steamer basket over boiling water for 10-15 minutes, until asparagus are soft, yet crisp. Do not overcook.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 2 minutes.
- Wrap asparagus in paper towel and blot.
- Sprinkle with desired amount of salt and pepper.
- Serve steamed asparagus immediately.