Delicious eggnog is not that difficult to make. Here are the directions on how to make this seasonal treat. Enjoy!
4 cups milk
5 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
12 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups light rum
4 cups light cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over low for 5 minutes.
- Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy.
- Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs.
- Pour mixture into saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick.
- Do not allow mixture to boil.
- Strain to remove cloves, and let cool for about an hour.
- Stir in rum, cream, 2 teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg.
- Refrigerate overnight before serving.
- Serve with a dusting of nutmeg on top.
A great place to get fresh spices is Penzeys. Here is the website http://www.penzeys.com.