Once again, I've found myself a college student, and as such, I'm always looking for good food for snacks to take with me when I visit BSU's campus. I like cereal snack bars for their convenience. As well, I like chocolate snack bars, although if you're not too careful these turn into a candy bar. Not exactly the healthy snack bar I had in mind. But I have to admit, I do like dessert snack recipes; these have some element of sweet to them, but are healthier than candy bars tend to be. And if I find a good enough recipe with some chocolate mixed in, I can even trick myself into thinking that the bars count as delicious chocolate desserts. Ok, they may not be as decadent as Tiramisu or chocolate truffles or even some plain old-fashioned M&M cookies, but still, they're pretty tasty.
This cereal snack bar with chocolate chips gives you some healthy dried fruits as well as some chocolate chips. They're an excellent choice to bring along to school or to send with your child to school as a after lunch chocolate dessert. And if you really must have more chocolate than just chocolate chips, you can always make a dipping chocolate and coat one end of the bars with it.
Delicious Chocolate Desserts: Cereal Snack Bars with Chocolate Chips
- ⅓ c. butter substitute spread
- 1 10-oz bag marshmallows (or make your own)
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 6 c. Cheerios
- 1 trail mix with dried fruit, nuts (approximately 3-oz)
- 4-oz chocolate chips
- Line a 13-inch X 9-inch baking pan with foil; then spray it with a nonstick cooking spray. Put this aside.
- Melt the butter substitute in a 4-quart saucepan. Put it on medium heat. Add in the marshmallows and cinnamon, stirring it from time to time to make sure that it's mixed well; do this for about four minutes. The mixture is done when the marshmallows melt completely.
- Add in the Cheerios the dried fruit, stirring it into the snack bar mixture very quickly. Make sure that all the cereal and fruit is coated with the marshmallow. Turn off the heat and very quickly while the mix is still warm, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Using a spatula that you've coated with cooking spray, spread the cereal snack bar mix onto the prepped pan. Let this cool for 30 minutes.
- Once it's done, cut into snack-sized squares. It'll make about 24 cereal snack bars with chocolate chips.
You can find pre-made trail mix at the Boise Winco in the bulk section.