Healthy muffins although good for you are usually not the ones many pick when they want to enjoy one. These muffins are not just healthy they are very good for you. With all these wholesome ingredients in this recipe one will certainly be shocked when they bite into one and find so much more than they originally expected. These healthy apple cinnamon muffins are prepared and offer moistness and a flavor that will make it hard to stop at just one.
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 2/3 cup of dark brown sugar plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, divided
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of cream cheese
- 1 (6 ounce) container of Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup of applesauce
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1 ½ cups of chopped apples
- Preheat oven to 400’.
- Apply a thin coating of cooking spray to a muffin pan.
- In a mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients together leaving out 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine all the wet ingredients leaving the apple chunks aside for now.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together until the batter is moist.
- Pour or spoon the batter into the muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Once the muffin tin is filled mix together 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 2 tablespoons if brown sugar.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the top of the batter in the muffin tin.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned where the muffin will spring back when gently touched.
- Set the muffin pan on a cooling rack to 10 minutes before removing the muffins.
- Place the muffins on the cooling rack to cool completely.
- Muffins can be enjoyed warm as well as at room temperature.
- Eat them as is or cut in half with a little butter, jelly, jam, cream cheese or your favorite preserves.
- Recipe yields 12 muffins.
© 2013 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved
More reading topics from this author:
Find more recipes and cooking tips with easy step-by-step instructions visit me at Jackson Cooking Examiner. For fun, crafty, holiday, events, tips and tricks and education stories to enjoy join me at Home and Living Examiner. Interested in health issues, recalls, medical conditions and tips and tricks for a healthier lifestyle follow me to Healthy Living Examiner. Looking for celebrity news, scoops, pop culture, events, attractions and entertainment stories follow the Jackson Celebrity Examiner.