1. Leisure
  2. Food & Drink
  3. Restaurants

Del Taco coming to Grand Prairie

Photo: Wikimedia Commons/Andrew Mager

It's a California invasion!  If by "invasion" you mean "two".

Earlier this year, SoCal-based In-N-Out Burger confirmed rumors that they will be opening a new location in Garland.  Now, Del Taco (headquartered in Orange County, CA) is following suit by breaking ground this month in North Texas.  The OC Register's "Fast-Food Maven", Nancy Luna, reports that there may soon be as many as 80 restaurants in the DFW area.  Luna quotes Del Taco CEO Paul Murphy as saying, "I think what Del Taco brings to the table [in Texas] is a unique spin on Mexican."

Some folks may remember that Del Taco once had locations in Texas, but pulled out of the state back in the 1970s.  Those folks may also remember some good reasons the restaurant didn't fair well here.  Perhaps, Texans just couldn't get used to the idea of French fries with their tacos.

Del Taco claims that all of their meals are, "made to order using fresh ingredients including freshly grated cheddar cheese, hand-made salsa, lard-free beans made from scratch and chicken grilled every hour."  Additionally, they serve burgers, fries and shakes. Most locations remain open 24 hours per day.  Saying, "It's like a Whataburger with Mexican food.", might be a fair conclusion to make.  But it remains to be seen whether they will be popular enough with 21st Century Texans, to make that comparison stick.

According to the DelTaco.com, the first location will open in Denton this fall (2010), and the second in McKinney.  And with 70-plus stores being proposed for DFW alone, at least one of those will be in Grand Prairie.  Click subscribe on this page, or follow "gprestaurants" on Twitter, to be informed when that news is released.

Comments

• Jill C. 3 years ago

Hmm . . we'll see. But I'm sure your father will be wiling to try them at least once. I'll ask him and see if he remembers Del Taco.

• Profile picture of Wesley Stein
    Wesley Stein 3 years ago

I wonder if this is any good

• Jade =) 3 years ago

I'd give it a shot, but I don't have any problem with Taco Bell/Taco Bueno.

• Profile picture of Jessa Theriot
    Jessa Theriot 3 years ago

I'd be interesting in trying a new taco joint.

Del Taco is great. I go everytime I'm in Cali and I can't wait to have it TX!!

I have eaten there- it is pretty gross! Their food had very little spice or flavor

• Réne Girard (Ft. Worth Christianity & Culture) 3 years ago

I remember Del Taco, but I thought they were around here in the 80's.

In-N-Out is coming to Texas?! I wonder why Garland ... enjoy!

• Mike C. 3 years ago

It may have been the 80s. I read conflicting reports.

Leisure

• Cleansing foods
    Healthy cleansing foods that will nourish you inside and out
    Camera
    7 Photos
  • Mustang
    Get the scoop: Ford released detailed specs on the 2015 Mustang
    Camera
    7 Photos
  • Banyan Tree
    See why The Banyan Tree in Lahaina is a top Maui attraction
    Camera
    10 Photos
  • Parmesan crusted burger
    The burger makes a statement with its overflow of melted swiss cheese over a hot beef patty
    Camera
    6 Photos
  • Oaks Spa
    Just keep moving is theme at Oaks at Ojai, California’s primo budget spa
    Camera
    6 Photos
  • Smoothie
    To cool your summer days off try a plum-cherry-lychee smoothie
    Camera