There are many different methods for accomplishing goals. You can choose the method that works best for you. What is most important however is that you know what you want. Knowing what you want is the first step. When you define exactly what you want you are more likely to accomplish it. Here are some suggested steps for defining and accomplishing goals.
- State the goal in a positive form. State out loud, think about, and/or write down what you will be doing rather than what you will not be doing. Keep the focus on the positive.
- Think of the goal in terms of action. Ask yourself how you will be acting or behaving when you are in the process of getting what you want.
- Present tense. Keep your goal in the present tense; as if it were happening now. Don’t think of it as something that will or might happen in the future. Keep the focus on the present moment. Have the goal be something you can start immediately.
- Be specific. The more specific you are about what you want, the more likely you are to accomplish it.
- Choose goals that are within your reach. That is, choose goals that you know you can reasonably accomplish. You cannot just go from A to Z. For example, if you want to earn an advanced degree but have not even earned a high school diploma, then this would be an unrealistic goal. In this example you would first need to take the steps necessary to get to the point where you can earn an advanced degree. Earning your high school diploma would be considered a goal that is within your reach, because it is the next step in the process to accomplishing your ultimate goal of earning an advanced degree.