Summer days are here and with it fun in the sun and the red, white and blue celebrations. A perfect time to enjoy a bit of new decor for the outside and inside of the home to enjoy the fireworks of sunshine, thunderstorms and the July Fourth holiday.
Adding new excitement to the decor is a great way to bring the summer days home to celebrate.
Summer time brings to mind sand, seashells and waves hitting the shore as well as the colors of red, white and blue in patriotic celebration of independence. Tropical bright themes mimic the happiness that the long awaited summer brings with it.
Embark on a treasure hunt to search out great discoveries to dress the decor to shout summer fashion.
Just by adding some new accessories can easily change up the decor from the cold seasons to celebrate the heated summer fun. Shopping is part of the fun when it comes to seeking out new decor fashions.
- Spend a beautiful day outing shopping yard sales for cool finds that can be used or repurposed for a new look.
- Check out local thrift and consignment shops for summer goodies.
- Discount stores are always filled to summer themed items that can be mixed in to make a fresh sunny decor.
As you shop for summer decor add to the fun by thinking creatively.
Many items may seem ordinary, or may appear interesting, but how exactly can you use them to give the decor a high style summer flair. This is where creative thinking can turn an old odd object into a new interesting piece of decor.
- An old ship porthole can be repurposed into a frame or clock.
- An old wooden ship wheel can be used as a base for a glass table top.
- Swag a window with a fish net over a simple blind or shade to add some seaside flair.
- Fill a hurricane candle holders with sand and shells to place on a table as a centerpiece.
Time to store away the cold by replacing the old with new summer décor accessories.
Replace the woolly and deep colored accessories of the colder months with the nautical and patriotic accessories that shout out sunny fun.
- Beach and nautical themed pillows and area rugs are the perfect accessories to bring the sunshine into the decor.
- A fun mounted fish found at a garage sale can replace art over the fireplace or hung among the outdoor decor.
- Boat compasses, bells and anchors can be repurposed into new interesting conversation pieces for the decor.
- Create a nautical theme framing nautical flags and old maps to dress the walls.
- Have the kids learn how to tie nautical knots and then display them framed on the wall.
Redress a room in red, white and blue.
Summertime is about parades and fireworks celebrating the countries veterans and independence. Add some patriotic color to the decor for a summer tribute. Stripes and stars in America's colors can add new excitement to any room.
- Brighten up plain upholstered sofas and chairs with slip covers that party for independence.
- Add a white shag rug to brighten the floor under a blue sofa.
- Simply add some new patriotic themed toss pillows to the room for summer thrills.
- Have fun with armless chairs by dressing the back in a patriotic themed tee shirt.
Bring the beach inside by dressing up the decor with coastal finds.
Have fun spending sunny days gathering shells and dried found items on the coast line. Easily purchase shells at a crafts store.
- Hot glue is the perfect too to use on a worn chandelier or lamp to make it new by covering with shells.
- Use a cord and shells to create tassel tie backs for drapery.
- Use pretty shells or a horseshoe crab shell to mount inside a matted frame with no glass ready to hang on the wall.
- Paint shells in metallic colors to showcase on an elegant table or wall.
Decorating to rejoice in the summer excitement should be a fun party that the entire household can enjoy being a part of. Add an extra summer touch with the aroma of the ocean breeze indoors using calming scented candles. Relax and enjoy the fleeting summer season of entertaining and outdoor fun.
Enjoy making new summer memories with a back drop of fireworks. Move to the sounds of summer; never be afraid to dance!
Subscribe and enjoy reading all of my articles under the titles of Interior Decorating, Long Island Interior Design, Decorating, Arts & Exhibits, Lifestyle, as well as General Pets, Fashion Trends, and Long Island Prepper written for Examiner.com.