From Academy Award and Golden Globe nominated writer and director Neill Blomkamp comes the visionary sci-fi action thriller Elysium, which he wrote, directed and co-produced. Academy Award winners Matt Damon and Jodie Foster lead a strong international supporting cast that includes Sharlto Copley, Alice Braga, Diego Luna, Wagner Moura and William Fichtner.
Set in a dystopian future society in year 2154, Earth is ravaged -- ridden with crime and disease -- and overpopulated by the poor while the very wealthy live on an utopian man-made space station called Elysium. Earth’s residents are policed by menacing robots and labor in factories to provide goods for the rich. Elysium’s citizens live a luxurious life free of disease and injury utilizing a cutting-edge, fully automated human-sized medical device called a “med-bay” that diagnoses and heals -- making them virtually immortal.
Max, a reformed criminal and factory worker, lives in the ruins of Los Angeles and works at the assembly line for Armadyne Corp, a military company that supplies arms and weapons to Elysium. When a workplace incident goes awry, Max is exposed to a lethal dose of radiation that gives him only five days to live. Knowing only the med-bay can save his life, Max agrees to go on a life threatening mission that defies the strict anti-immigration laws in place, taking him to the elusive paradise in the stars to save his life and the future of the human race. With Elysium’s pampered lifestyle threatened, Secretary Delacourt will stop at nothing to protect it and preserve her power, sending her key enforcer Kruger who goes on a rampage after Max. As the fate of millions hang in the balance, the events that ensue could destroy everything or bring equality to these polarized worlds.
DVD and Blu-ray special features include two featurettes. In “Collaboration: Crafting the Performances in Elysium,” meet the dynamic cast and get insight into how they prepared for their roles. And in “Engineering Utopia: Creating a Society in the Sky,” take a look at the design and creation of the utopian space station.
Exclusive to Blu-ray are hours of bonus material, including an extended scene and six behind-the-scenes featurettes. Fans get an inside look at the process of shooting the film’s visual effects scenes, and incorporating CGI environments and vehicles into those scenes in post-production with the featurette “In Support of Story: The Visual Effects of Elysium.” “The Technology of 2154” featurette shows filmmakers discussing the technology of Elysium, from independently functioning Droids to next-generation military technology that gives humans machine-enhanced power. “The Journey to Elysium” explores the pre-production of the film, including the first steps taken to build the “future world” and casting the right actors, followed by a discussion with filmmakers and cast on the journey through production, as well as a post-production diary that gives a look at the editing process, including the challenges of marrying the practical shots with their CGI counterparts. The “Visions of 2154” featurette is an interactive exploration of the art and design of Elysium.
- Matt Damon as Max Da Costa
- Maxwell Perry Cotton as Young Max
- Jodie Foster as Secretary of Defense Jessica Delacourt
- Sharlto Copley as Agent C.M. Kruger
- Alice Braga as Frey Santiago
- Valentina Giros as Young Frey
- Diego Luna as Julio
- Wagner Moura as Spider
- William Fichtner as John Carlyle
- Brandon Auret as Drake
- Josh Blacker as Crowe
- Emma Tremblay as Matilda Santiago
- Jose Pablo Cantillo as Sandro
- Faran Tahir as President Patel
- Adrian Holmes as Manuel
- Jared Keeso as Rico
- Carly Pope as CCB agent
- Ona Grauer as CCB agent
DVD Special Features:
- Collaboration: Crafting the Performances in Elysium - Meet the dynamic cast and get insight into how they prepared for their roles.
- Engineering Utopia: Creating a Society in the Sky - A look at designing and creating the utopian space station.
Blu-ray Special Features:
Includes all DVD Special Features plus:
- Extended Scene
- Visions of 2154 – An interactive exploration of the art and design of Elysium.
- The Journey to Elysium:
o Envisioning Elysium - This pre-production diary explores all facets of pre-production.
o Capturing Elysium - With production in Vancouver, Mexico, and on huge green screen stages, the challenge of filming was nothing short of massive. The filmmakers and cast discuss the journey through the film’s production.
o Enhancing Elysium - This post-production diary explores the editing process
- In Support of Story: The Visual Effects of Elysium - An in-depth look at the process of shooting visual effects scenes and incorporating CGI environments and vehicles into those scenes in post-production.
- The Technology of 2154 - From independently functioning Droids to next-generation military tech that gives humans machine-enhanced power, get insight from the filmmakers on the technology of Elysium.
Check out the slideshow to see what the exclusives look like.
- Best Buy - Elysium Blu-ray Combo Pack with bonus disc featuring the exoskeletons, explosions and the action choreography of Elysium.
- Target - Elysium Blu-ray Combo SteelBook with DVD and UltraViolet Digital Copy.
Release Date: December 17, 2013
- Future Shop - Elysium Blu-ray Combo SteelBook with DVD.
Release Date: January 22, 2014
Release Date: December 14, 2013
- Amazon.fr - Elysium Blu-ray SteelBook.
- FNAC - Elysium Blu-ray Digibook with 24 pages extracted from the official book about the art of the film.
Release Date: December 17, 2013
- MediaMarkt - Elysium Blu-ray SteelBook.
Release Date: December 19, 2013
Release Date: December 3, 2013
Release Date: December 11, 2013
- Elysium Blu-ray Digibook containing an exclusive disc with exoskeletons, explosions and the choreography of the action scenes of Elysium.
Release Date: November 26, 2013
Release Date: November 28, 2013
Release Date: December 26, 2013
- Elysium Blu-ray SteelBook with UltraViolet Digital Copy.
Best Buy exclusive Blu-ray Combo Pack with bonus disc - $22.99
Target exclusive Blu-ray Combo SteelBook - $22.99 ($21.84 after Target Cartwheel coupon)
Elysium Blu-ray Combo Pack / District 9 DVD 2-Pack - $24.96 at Walmart.com
- Best Buy: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- FYE: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Kmart: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Toys 'R' Us: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Target: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Walmart: Long Island locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Amazon.com charges sales tax for all New York shipping addresses.