Doctor Who, the world’s longest running sci-fi series, celebrates its 50th anniversary with an explosive special. The Day of the Doctor is the series’ 799th episode written by lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat. The Tenth Doctor (David Tennant) and Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith) join with the War Doctor (John Hurt) to embark on their greatest adventure across space and time to save present-day London and the Doctor’s war-racked home planet Gallifrey. The special also stars: Jenna-Louise Coleman as the Eleventh Doctor’s companion Clara Oswald; Billie Piper as a sentient doomsday weapon called the Moment projecting Rose Tyler in her Bad Wolf persona; Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor; Joanna Page as Queen Elizabeth I; and Jemma Redgrave as Kate Stewart, daughter of legendary Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart. The special also features the return of the Daleks in the Time War and the Zygons, shape-shifting aliens, who want to take over London (previously appeared in the 1975 serial Terror of the Zygons). It achieved the Guinness World Record for the largest simulcast of a TV drama, broadcast in 94 countries across 6 continents and shown in 3D in select movie theaters.
In 2013, the Zygons have awakened in London’s National Gallery. They have used Time Lord art -- 3D pictures preserving moments of time -- to time travel here from the Elizabethan era and are preparing to take over London and the rest of the world. Shape-shifting and taking the forms of members of the paramilitary organization UNIT, Kate Stewart, the UNIT’s commander, decides the only way to stop the Zygons and prevent an alien invasion is to detonate a nuclear warhead that will wipe out London, but save the rest of humanity. The Doctor arrives in time to ultimately force the cancellation of the detonation and help the Zygons and humans discuss peace. This act of mass destruction parallels the devastating choice the Doctor made on the last day of the Time War.
Haunted by a dangerous past, the Tenth and Eleventh Doctor encounter the War Doctor -- who they loathe and rather forget. The War Doctor was responsible for triggering an ancient weapon of mass destruction called “the Moment,” a galaxy eater that would end the War by annihilating both the Daleks and the Time Lords. Prior to the detonation, the Moment’s conscience takes the form of Rose Tyler in her Bad Wolf persona to challenge the War Doctor’s decision to kill both his people and the Daleks -- showing him the future personal consequences of his actions. Upon meeting the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors, the War Doctor becomes even more sure of his decision. Together, the War Doctor and his future selves face that fateful day, but are eventually persuaded by the Doctor’s companion Clara Oswald to find another way -- thus saving Gallifrey.
Special features include two mini-episodes (“The Night of The Doctor” and “The Last Day”), a behind-the-scenes featurette, trailers and the entire 50-year history of Doctor Who explained in one 50-minute special.
- Matt Smith as Eleventh Doctor
- David Tennant as Tenth Doctor
- Jenna-Louise Coleman as Clara Oswald
- Billie Piper as Rose Tyler / Moment Interface
- John Hurt as War Doctor
- Jemma Redgrave as Kate Stewart
- Joanna Page as Queen Elizabeth I
- Peter Capaldi as Twelfth Doctor
- Ingrid Oliver as Osgood
- Peter de Jersey as Androgar
- Ken Bones as General of Gallifrey
- Jonjo O'Neill as McGilliop
- Aidan Cook and Paul Kasey as as the Zygons
- Nicholas Briggs as the voice of the Daleks and the Zygons
- Barnaby Edwards and Nicholas Pegg as Daleks
- Tom Baker as Curator
- Doctor Who Explained – The entire 50-year history in one 50-minute special.
- Two mini-episodes – “The Night of The Doctor” and “The Last Day”
- Behind-the-scenes featurette – Go behind the scenes at the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special – on set and on location – featuring interviews with Matt Smith, Jenna Coleman, David Tennant, Billie Piper and John Hurt. Steven Moffat gives insight into writing the episode, and it takes a look at the monsters that make a return for this very special event
- San Diego Comic-Con trailer of Doctor Who: The Day of The Doctor
- Doctor Who 50th Anniversary tribute teaser trailer
- Best Buy - Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor DVD and Blu-ray 2D+3D Combo Pack have been released early at Best Buy and are available for purchase in-store and online now.
- Best Buy: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- BJ's Wholesale Club: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- FYE: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Kmart: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Toys 'R' Us: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Target: New York City locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Walmart: Long Island locations or use the store locator for other areas.
- Amazon.com charges sales tax for all New York shipping addresses.