Skip to main content

See also:

Deadbeat Parent

A parent who willing or neglects to pay support or take responsibility for his child(ren) and/or family. Legally it’s called Deadbeat Parent Law. It’s only in extreme cases, such as repeat offenders and people that flat out refuse to pay, that jail time is served. The court will is garnishments or court regulated payments to ensure a support order is enforced. ”Project Save Our Children” is a multiagency law enforcement that investigates and prosecutes the child support cases. The agency includes investigative analysts from the Administration for Children and Families (ACF), Office of Child Support Enforcement (OCSE), OIG Special Agents, the U.S. Marshalls Service, U.S. Attorneys’ offices, and the Department of Justice, along with child support agencies across the United States. The non-custodial parent must meet the criteria for Federal prosecution under the Deadbeat Parents Punishment Act passed in 1998. To report a deadbeat parent go online to or call your local Domestic Relations office or Department of Public Welfare. Under Pennsylvania law, the Department of Public Welfare (DPW) is notifying PennDOT to suspend the driving privilege of an individual who: • owes support in the amount equal to or greater than three months of the monthly support obligation; • failed to comply with a visitation or partial custody order; • failed to comply with subpoenas or warrants relating to paternity or child support proceedings. When PennDOT is notified, a notice of suspension is mailed to the individual. The suspension notice informs the individual of the suspension, instructs them to contact Domestic Relations and lists the requirements for restoration. Allowing for mail time, the suspension takes effect 7 days from the date PennDOT processes the request and the loss of driving privilege is for an indefinite period. The person’s driving privilege will remain suspended until PennDOT receives information from DPW that the obligation has been satisfied. The individual must also pay a restoration fee to PennDOT. On August 23, 1999, PennDOT began to receive this information electronically from DPW. This automated process enables us to handle large volumes of suspensions in a timely manner. We have included a list of questions and answers which will enable you to understand the process. If you have additional questions, do not hesitate to contact our Clerk of Courts Unit at (717) 783-5759. Q: I received a suspension notice from PennDOT for failure to fulfill an obligation with Domestic Relations. I have taken care of this obligation. How do I get my driving privilege reinstated? A: If the obligation was met prior to the effective date of suspension, the suspension will be removed from your driving record and you will receive notice from PennDOT indicating your driving privilege has been reinstated. If the obligation was met on or after the effective date of suspension, you are required to pay a restoration fee in order to have your driving privilege restored. The restoration fee is $25.00 for non-commercial drivers and $75.00 for commercial drivers. DEAD BEAT PARENT LAW FACT SHEET October 2008 Q: Where do I send my restoration fee? A: PennDOT Bureau of Driver Licensing P.O. Box 68693 Harrisburg, PA 17106 Please be sure to include your driver’s license number on your check or money order. If this information is not available, include your date of birth. Q: Once I send my restoration fee to PennDOT, how long will it be until my driving privilege is restored? A: If you are not under suspension for any other violations, you should receive a restoration letter within 10 days. Q: When can I drive? A: You cannot legally drive until you receive notification from PennDOT that your driving privilege has been restored. Q: I sent my restoration fee to PennDOT 14 days ago and I have not received a restoration letter. What do I do? A: Please call PennDOT at 1-800-932-4600 to determine if there are other suspensions on your driving record which prohibit you from being restored at this time. Q: I received a suspension notice from PennDOT for failure to fulfill a Domestic Relations’ obligation. It states that I need to surrender my driver’s license, but I lost it. What do I do? A: You need to submit to PennDOT a DL-16LC form. Deadbeat Parent databases: Statistics: • While in some states in the US there are studies that 14.4 billion dollars or 76 percent of the arrears that deals with child support is lack of deadbeat dads to pay. • U.S. census bureau 34.1 % fathers entitled for child support but only 72.9 % of children receive this. • 38% of parents are not providing child support due to financial problems. • When the custodial parent(s) has to deal with the noncustodial parent it takes its toll financially, emotionally and physically. I am currently dealing with my youngest daughter’s father. He has not paid child support in over 14 months, he has no job or source of income and does not pay any bills because he lives off the kind heartedness of other people. He gets visitation once a month and complains about the transportation issue because he doesn’t drive and does not understand that he verbally agreed to a judge that he would pay me $30 when I drive our daughter up to him every other month. The cases of support and visitation have become draining because of having to rearrange my work schedule to attend court hearings and uses up allot of gas going back and forth to court. It’s emotionally draining having to deal with him and telling my daughter that money is tight because her father isn’t paying child support or contributing to her school or Girl Scout needs. If it weren’t for my current husband my daughter and I would probably be homeless. I have been her sole provider and caretaker since she was very young. When creating a human life a person needs to keep in mind that that other person you had a child with is going to be in your life for the rest of your life as your child grows and someday gives you grandbabies. You are tied to each other whether the relationship lasts or not…FOREVER.