Fire officials say dead flowers are to blame for a fire that destroyed an $80,000 home in Iowa.
Firefighters were called to a Des Moines house at 3111 East 43rd Street around 5:30 p.m. CDT Wednesday, which was engulfed in flames upon arrival.
After an investigation, Fire Department spokesman Brian O'Keefe says dead flowers inside a pot with a wooden base on the front porch of the home likely led to the fire, WOWT-TV reported.
O'Keefe says the plant's decomposition produced heat that was worsened by the high summer air temperature.
According to the National Weather Service, the temperature in Des Moines reached a high of 103 degrees Wednesday afternoon.
O'Keefe says the wooden base of the flower failed, which allowed in oxygen and led to the spontaneous combustion and fire.
The home suffered “considerable damage” throughout, Des Moines Fire Lt. Chad Smeins said.
Crews had to pull down most of the ceiling and large parts of the roof were soaked through with water. The inside had smoke, fire and water damage, according to the Des Moines Register.